Saturday, May 3, 2008

Sweet Baby Boy

I just finished putting Luke down for a nap. Normally, that means literally just laying him in his bed, covering him up, and walking out of the room. Today, though, he was having some trouble going to sleep, so I asked him if he wanted me to rock him a little bit. Luke has always been a little bit more of a cuddler than Ellie. But due to the fact that I am a big fan of Babywise, I have never done much rocking. Every now and then it makes me sad that my babies aren't babies anymore and I didn't spend a whole lot of time rocking them to sleep. So today was a nice little treat. Luke cuddled up to me and I started rubbing his little arm. He LOVES to have his arm rubbed. That little, smooth, chubby arm and hand. I love having a little boy. I am so grateful that the Lord gave me the opportunity to experience raising a boy and a girl. I know I would love whatever He chose to give me, I am so just glad it was this. From the beginning, I have so often looked at his soft, baby features and wondered how they would one day turn into rougher, man features. I mean a girl will always be feminine, soft, delicate. But it's so hard for me to imagine Luke's soft, chubby, drooly chin and cheeks will one day have whiskers.

Anyway, back to the nap. So I had been rubbing that little arm for awhile and thought he was asleep. I stopped for a minute, and he was still for a moment, and then he reached down and grabbed my hand and put it back on his arm. This isn't the first time he has done this and it is just about the cutest thing you can imagine. Those are the little things that make EVERYTHING worthwile.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

aww Ann~ what a sweet post! I love those little moments as a mom:-) I had tears in my eyes. I followed Baby Wise very strictly when Ella was first born up until about 9 months. Then I started rocking her more. I felt like it was okay because she knew how to go to sleep on her own without the 'help' of anything.

Then we can really just enjoy them and they can enjoy us occasionally
'putting them to sleep.' What a gift to have a boy and a girl. I hope to one day have a boy too:-) If it was my choice I would want another one in about a year--but Brandon isn't quite there yet. So, in due time I am trusting the Lord to make both our hearts ready. I love reading your sweet words!!

The Moore Family said...

What a sweet story. :) Annabeth has done the same thing to me - when I was rubbing her back, she'd put my hand back on when I stopped. :)

Heidi