Monday, May 19, 2008

Strawberry Picking










For a few weeks now, I have been seeing signs all over town about fresh picked strawberries-we pick or you pick. I thought it would be a very fun family outing for us. The weather was great today, so after the kids naps (well, Luke's nap and Ellie's semi-rest time) we went. It was so much fun! I think I had just as much as fun as they did. We had 2 baskets that we filled up to the top. Ellie worked so hard and was able to pull them off the bush pretty easily. Luke had a little harder time, when he would grab the strawberry, it would just squish in his hand. So I would pull them off and then he enjoyed dropping them in the basket. The very first one I handed him, he put straight in his mouth. He eventually got the concept, though. Now we have a huge basket of sweet, soft strawberries. As I was picking, my head was spinning with all the endless baking possibilities-fresh pound cake, angel food cake, strawberry pie, chocolate dipped strawberries, strawberry bread. I wish I had the time and energy to make strawberry jam. I have done that once with a friend who knew what she was doing. It makes the best stuff! Anyway, we had a great time and even got to see some horses up close, which Luke was a little nervous about, but Ellie thoroughly enjoyed. I was hoping the strawberries were organic, but the farmer said no. Oh well, at least they're fresh AND I supported local farmers.

2 comments:

LB said...

that sounds like so much fun!! I wish I had been there. Where was it? And it made me laugh that Luke's strawberry squished in his hand. Your posts always make me laugh because I can totally picture it happening.

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

I love the color of the pictures!! Looks like you had so much fun! We need to get together when I am home!