Monday, May 5, 2008

A Few Things About My Day

I'm not just trying out different blogger templates every week. The reason that I now have another new blogger template is because when I had the last one, it kept saying that I had an error on the page. So, I decided to try another one to see if that would fix it. It did not fix it. I know absolutely nothing about computers. If anyone has any clue about this, your help would be greatly appreciated.

I have several random pictures to post, but the battery in my camera has to charge first. So stay tuned. But until then, I have a little something interesting to tell about my day today. It was a very productive day as far as our new house is concerned. I will give a few updates about our house that we are building every now and then. But for the most part, I am so sick of thinking about it at the end of the day, that I don't really want to write about it. However, I will just let you know that we are self-contracting, meaning we(mainly Steven, but me too) are the contractors. We did not hire a builder, which basically means our lives have been turned upside down for the last 6 months. And that we are having to do a lot of dirty work ourselves. Sub-contractors do not clean up after themselves. So, we have piles and piles of lumber, sheetrock, insulation, old Beenie Weenie, yes, Beenie Weenie cans, bottles- you get the picture- piled all around the house on our lot. (It was on the inside, but that part has finally been cleaned out.) So, today my mom and Kate kept Ellie and Luke, and sweet Sarah joined us at the house to carry all that yuckiness to the dumpster, which is at the end of the driveway, which is at the top of the hill. Fun!

Okay, so Sarah and I are picking up scrap shingles from under the deck, which was pretty muddy and wet from rain. And in the course of doing all this, I uncover not one, not two, not three, but FOUR SCORPIONS! This may not be shocking to some of you, but I don't know if I have ever actually seen one in my life. And I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico for 5 years and never saw one the entire time I was there. Maybe I am just not very well educated on these awful creatures, but I didn't realize they were in the South. I thought they were desert insects. Are they even insects? I don't know. Besides the scorpions, we also uncovered several HUGE spiders, one beetle, a cricket, and a few things that I didn't even recognize. I was just waiting for a snake, but fortunately, that didn't happen.

Thank you Sarah, for braving the spiders and helping us. And thank you, mom and Kate, for taking care of Ellie and Luke all day. I think they had a blast. And they were SUPER worn out. I know this because on the way home, Ellie was having a major attitude problem. I told her that she needed to be sweet. And she was crying and screaming at the top of her lungs "I AM BEING SWEET!!!!". I couldn't help but laugh, which only made her more mad. Thankfully, Ellie and Luke are now both sound asleep in their beds getting much needed rest.

One last thing...If you are reading this tonight, please say a prayer for my friend, Meg, in Albuquerque. She is being induced in about 15 min. She is pregnant with her second baby and is pretty nervous about it all. I have been there, done that, in that very same hospital-twice! I can definitely relate to being nervous. Please pray that everything will go very smoothly, quickly, and she will have a healthy baby boy as soon as possible.

4 comments:

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

Scorpions in Scottsboro? Who would've THUNK it? LOL I didn't know you were building a house..might I ask where? That is a very stressful but exciting time!

LB said...

wow. I laughed out loud at Ellie screaming, "I am being sweet." so, so funny. And wow to the scorpions. So scary. How did Sarah do with her fear of spiders? One more thing--I didn't realize that it was already time for Meg's baby to be born.

Unknown said...

Hey Ann!! Believe it or not, we found a huge scorpion in our house in GA right after we moved in. I think Erik almost freaked out! LOL Thankfully I didn't see it. They are very prevalent in the south, in wooded areas. But I think they come up more when the building is being done, because we never saw another one in the 5 years we lived in that house.

Melissa said...

Ann~ you have A LOT of stress in your life now--or at least I would think so??!! Two little kiddos running around, trying to attend to their sweet(sometimes demanding) needs AND building a house--wow! You get the mom award in the blog world this week:-) Does that exist? ha...anyways, I can't imagine seeing scorpions!!! I thought they were only in deserts too. Glad you found them before they found you!