Thursday, May 8, 2008

Albuquerque























On Sat., May 10 I will have been back in the South for exactly one year. And so I thought I would post a little tribute to Albuquerque, New Mexico. When I moved there in Feb. of 2003, it was the most foreign place to me. And when I left last May, I can say that I truly felt like I was leaving my home. It has been one of the hardest things to leave and I would have never expected that. I think for several reasons it became such a special place to me. One of the main ones is that it is where both of my babies were born, where I brought them home from the hospital, and watched Ellie take her first steps. And as any mom knows, those are priceless days. Steven was on staff at Hoffmantown Church, where his dad, Wayne Barber, is still the pastor. I thank the Lord for the time He allowed me to sit under His godly teaching. I know Steven is so thankful for those years with his mom and dad, just as I am thankful for the time to get to know them and be a part of their lives. There are so many dear people and friendships that we will take with us from our time there.
And let me just say a word about Albuquerque as a city. I once heard that someone called Albuquerque "the armpit of America". I would definitely say that is harsh. It does have some bad parts, but don't most cities? Don't get me wrong, it is VERY different than the South. It's an entirely different culture. But what an opportunity to experience and embrace that! The landscape is breathtaking, the weather unbelievable, and the food, over time, (it took a little while for my tastebuds to adjust) so, so good! I crave that stuff! Everyone eats green chiles on everything! Just to give you a little example-one of the combo #'s at McDonald's is a green chile cheeseburger combo. I am serious. Anyway, I am including a variety of pictures so you can get a little picture of our five years there.

5 comments:

JJ said...

Ann, I am So excited you have a blog! Your kids are precious! And you look awesome! I love hearing about you every now and then from LH. Where are you now? Hey, if you get a chance, email me (it is on my blog) bc this comment could get way too long! Thanks for saying hey! I miss you!

LB said...

Awww...love the pictures of New Mexico. And of Luke and Ellie when they were so tiny. Hard to believe. Is the pregnant picture at the hospital you with Luke? You look really thin except for your stomach, which you're right, it looks almost pointed--ha, ha.

And for the record, I loved ALBQ (can't spell it). I loved visiting there, and I was just thinking the other day that I was sad I didn't have a reason to visit and eat the food!!

By the way, loved the story about Ellie and Luke getting excited when they saw the picture of Ada. I love that they recognize her. Okay, my comment is getting long also.

Melissa said...

Ann~ I LOVED seeing these pictures and reading this post. I wondered what your life in Alberquerrekiiee (however you spell it) was really like. It was so fun to read how God gave you his heart for that 'culture' over the time period you were there. Probably like living overseas--so many adjustments.
You were so cute pregnant!! I can imagine feeling a mixture of feelings about coming back to the South---especially the part about your babies being born there. I have some MAJOR heart strings to Birmingham for that reason alone. Do you cook differently now that you have lived there? I bet you add spicy seasonings to more of your food:-) I would love to see more of these pictures!!

Melissa said...

i meant to tell you how BEAUTIFUL the first picture was!!! I had no idea how pretty it was there. It makes me want to take a visit~

Unknown said...

Ann, I was shocked to read it's been a year! It just doesn't seem like it to me, does it to you? Maybe it's because you are just one of those friends that I can jump right in where I left off with, anytime, any place, and I feel like nothing has changed between us. I had the same experience with Abq. I came here from TX which was just my heart and soul, and I fell so in love with it here, I never went back!!! It is definitely full of flaws, but so lovely too! I miss you dearly friend. Can't wait until we meet again. With love,R