Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's Day






This was my third Mother's Day. My first mother's day Ellie was 2 weeks old. I was still recovering from a long labor and delivery and was pretty much a nervous wreck. I dashed out of the house for like one hour in between feedings to eat dinner with Steven at Outback. Things have changed so much in just 3 short years. So we didn't really have anything planned because right after church, my mom was leaving to drive my youngest sister, Kate, down to Camp Marannook where she is working this summer. It hit me during church that it might be nice to ride with her and maybe Steven would keep Luke, and I could take Ellie. I know that does not sound like much fun, but it's so weird what becomes a treat once you become a mom. Sunday afternoons just might be the hardest day for me as a mom. I almost feel drugged on Sundays, and since it is always a battle to get Ellie to take a nap, there really isn't much rest on Sundays. So, the thought of sitting in a car, riding, while Ellie was thoroughly entertained by her DVD player, and not having to make or clean up dinner, sounded really nice.
So, that is what we did. And after we dropped Kate off, we headed to Evergreen, Alabama to spend the night. Evergreen is a teeny little town off the interstate, which you might have passed if you've ever been headed to the beach. It is not so teeny to me though, because this is where I have spent my entire life visiting and where lots of my best memories were made at my grandmother's house there. I have grown up hearing story after story of my mother's childhood in Evergreen. She absolutely adores this place and I do love it too. My grandmother was one of 4 girls, and they all grew up and raised their children together in that little, southern town. So, my mom grew up around all of her cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents. My grandmother and her oldest sister, Lucille, have both passed away. But Florence and Mary are still living there and so we were able to visit with them a little. My mom's sister, Mary Ann still lives there as well. My sisters and I have always been very close to her and we try to make it down to Evergreen as often as we can.
Anyway, it was a quick, but relaxing trip. Ellie enjoyed it, I think. She certainly loves any chance to be the complete center of attention. And she certainly was on this trip. She loves to watch movies, which at times, I am very thankful for. But, on the last leg of the trip, we had watched Mary Poppins so much, I thought if I heard chim-chiminee one more time, I would pull my hair out. So...I stopped at the nearest Wal-Mart I could find and let her pick out a new movie, any movie, just a different one.
Luke had a good time with Steven. I think he maybe ate as unhealthy as he possibly could have while I was gone. Steven can eat almost anywhere. He might eat fast food every single day if I would let him. And he doesn't really cook. So, when I leave Luke or Ellie with him, I know they will be getting a good dose of greasy fast food. And that's okay, I know that going into it. But when we were coming back Monday afternoon, Steven called and told me he and Luke had a "man's meal" for lunch. I asked what did he mean, and I almost wish I hadn't asked, because he then told me "Huddle House, of course". AHHHHH!!! My little baby was eating at Huddle House! Last time I was in there, I could hardly breathe from the cigarette smoke and there was a roach on the floor. At that point, I pressed down a little harder on the gas, so that I was sure to make it back home for dinner. Let me just say, for Steven's sake, that he is a great dad, and although he took Luke to Huddle House, he takes excellent care of Ellie and Luke when I leave them with him.
These are a few pictures from my great aunt Mary's house. It is so beautiful in south Alabama. I wish the azaleas had still been in bloom. Ellie had a blast running around and she even took a picture with me!!! Also, I included a picture of her mother's day present to me. She made it at preschool. A bunch of flowers, made out of her hand prints. So cute!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

What a sweet Mother's day present Ann! I am sure you will treasure that:-) Ellie's hair is getting so long--and the picture of you two is precious!! I totally understand about 'enjoying' the Sunday drive. Our definition of fun/relaxation has changed drastically since becoming moms huh? But its funny because once you become a mom the little things are so satisfying! I enjoyed reading this post about your family too:-)