Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Continuing Saga of Potty-training with Luke

I know you are so excited to get another one of these posts. But if you've every potty-trained a child before, you can probably relate (unless I'm doing something terribly wrong). And if you've never done it-this is what you can look forward to :) They say boys are harder and so far that is true for us.

We had a fun party last night and there will be pictures of that later, I'm sure. But I don't want to steal Laura Beth's thunder and I wanted to go ahead and record this so I wouldn't forget.

I went to CVS this afternoon to get several of their freebies-lots of basic school supplies. I left Andrew well-fed and ready for a nap, and Steven, Luke, and Ellie on the play room floor "taking a nap" in their new play tents. I was gone about 45 min. and when I got home, Steven came down the stairs holding a very splotchy-red faced Andrew. He said that it had been chaos and also "I don't know how you do this everyday", which as any SAHM knows, that comment is always appreciated.

He said Luke said "I need to poopy". Which as he would soon learn, really meant, I am in the process of or already have. So they quickly head to the bathroom and Steven pulls the pull-up off only to empty quite a bit of poopy onto the floor. (our white tile floor) He said he got it all cleaned up, which I was a bit skeptical of since he said he used hand soap. So after I got Andrew settled, I went in with some real bathroom cleaner. We also had some laundry issues to deal with.

In spite of all the potty-training issues, I still had time for some baking tonight. Yesterday, I went to our local farmer's market. Things must be peaking for the season, because there was soo much great stuff. I got these
And these
And thought...hmmm...blueberry muffins would taste really good. So Andrew was taking a really good nap and Ellie and Luke were watching a movie, so...

Well, I gotta go change another dirty pull-up.

4 comments:

nurseheather said...

yikes - i have to say i'm glad the potty training days are over. it is my least favorite part of toddler years. good luck and stay with it. it saves you so much money in the end....

Sarah said...

Yes, the "I don't know how you do it" comment certainly is heartening, though I mostly get it from other women (moms with, say, one or two children), not my hubby. From him, I tend to get the run-down on how hard it was while I was gone (the underlying tone being that he must have gotten them on an unusually difficult day/time)!
Take today: Claire has been throwing up at least a few times an hour most of the day. I was grocery shopping with my oldest for an hour this evening. I checked in and found that he was dealing with the same thing I had dealt with while he was gone at church. When he listed off the things that had been going on, I nodded and said, "Welcome to my world!" To which he replied with more detail on *exactly* what he was having to do. . . to which I replied, "Yep. That was the case when you were gone, too." It hadn't occurred to me to tell him all those details when he'd returned. In my mind, it was just what happened; not fun, but nothing to write home about.
For some reason, when it's mom doing it, it's just the same-ol'same-ol'. But when dad does it, it is very difficult and important! Maybe it's a personality difference, not a man/woman difference, I don't know.
I put the "I don't know how you do it" comment in a treasured place in my heart, since it is so rare. There's nothing like such appreciation and recognition for the sacrifices and efforts moms do day in and day out. Good for Steven!

Elizabeth said...

Those pictures are beautiful!! Especially the tomato one. Suitable for framing!!!

MOM

rhodes1 said...

I agree with Mom! Also, I think it was intended for someone else, but I ate one of the blueberry muffins and it was delicious! Was it a healthy version?