Wednesday, August 12, 2009

School Days




It has been quite the change around here the last couple of days since preschool has started. Luke will be going this year along with Ellie, so that is a blessing, since it will be just me and little guy for a chunk of the day. I am very much looking forward to a quieter house during the day and the chance to run a few errands with just one to get in and out of the car, rather than three. But not loving the adjustment in the mornings-getting everyone dressed, lunches packed, out the door by 8:30. Or the exhausted children that I pick up at 2:00 (neither one of them sleep during naptime at school). And it's always a decision whether or not to make them take a nap once they get home. Because if they do, they are so tired, they will sleep forever which=not sleepy at bedtime. So I usually just let them do something quiet, although, it doesn't ever really stay quiet for very long. And then when their heads hit the pillow between 7 and 7:30-they are OUT.

Unless the Lord makes it clear otherwise, this will be the last year they will go off to school and then I will tackle their schooling here at home. I am excited but mostly overwhelmed by that, to say the least, but Steven and I are pretty confident that God has led us to that decision. I am just glad we're starting at the beginning. We'll hopefully try and keep it simple.

Luke is in the 2 year old class (even though he will be 3 next month). And Ellie is in the 4's. Have I mentioned before that this is where I went to preschool as well? Her teachers this year were my teachers also. In my head they haven't changed a bit. They run a tight ship and I have a distinct memory of one popping me on the bottom once because I continued to work a puzzle after they had called us to circle time several times. (not hard, but it killed me) I don't know if they would do that anymore. Steven and I went to a parent's meeting on Monday night. (It also doubled as a date through the McDonald's drive-thru afterwards for a Diet Coke. Romantic, huh? The thing was we both kept saying how nice it was!) Anyway, we were discussing the meeting on the way home. One of the things they went over was discipline. Except they said we don't really like to call it that. We would rather use the word "redirect". This is in no way a knock on Ellie's teachers. They are excellent and I don't think it is their job to discipline. It is the parent's role! However, I think it is unfortunate that this word has become so negative. It says in scripture the Lord loves whom He disciplines. (Heb. 12 and Prov. 3:11-12). Discipline is a good thing. I could probably say a lot more but I guess I'll end my little schpill here.

On a lighter note--Happy Birthday to Laura Beth! My little sis is 27 today. It looks so old to see it rather than just saying it. What happened to when we could count it on our fingers? Hope you have a wonderful, stress-free, sick-free day. Love you! If you know her (or even if you don't) go on over here and wish her a Happy Birthday.

And one last thing that I just had to share. Have you ever been down the clearance aisle at Wal-Mart? Well, you should. Look what I found:

(all Martha-Stewart) Noah's Ark kit-animals made out of pipe cleaners
How great for a rainy day!

Honeycomb Thank you cards and birthday cardsBarnyard balloon animals!


And these cute little photo brag books. All of these things were around $2-3 each. Check it out!

3 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Ann, that is great to know that you will be homeschooling - scary, but good. We, too, will consider it when the time comes. We both feel very strongly about educating at home!

LB said...

Who are her teachers? Mrs. Welch?

Thanks for the happy birthday. 27 seems old to me--too close to 30, I think.

Amy said...

Love the pipe cleaner Noah's ark!