Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas Recap

It is January 3 and here I am again after the Christmas season and definitely feeling the exhaustion of it all.  It was fun and wonderful and exciting and exhausting all at the same time.  Still cameraless, so here is a recap in pictures taken by other people.  The important thing to me is that these special and priceless moments do not go by without being documented.  

A few highlights in words, before we get to the pictures...

1.  Having all of my children, nieces and nephews, my parents, all three of my sisters, and my aunt together for Christmas.  I know it will not always be that way.  What a blessing it was!

2.  A white Christmas morning.  At one point, the snow was falling, all the kids were playing with their toys, and adults were eating a yummy breakfast and drinking coffee.  For a little bit, it felt like out of a movie.  The baby in my tummy allowed me to enjoy a cup of coffee which was a treat in and of itself.

3.  A dinner with my family at my favorite, favorite Mexican restaurant on the 23rd to celebrate my dad's birthday.

4.  Our Christmas Eve service at church.

5.  Time with friends on the 23rd to make cookies and enjoy one of the last few days before Christmas.

6.  The dinner my parents' made on Christmas night-Prime rib, wild rice, green beans (a special recipe of my aunt's-with bacon, onion, and balsamic vinegar, along with a few other things), Baby Blue salad from Southern Living (The best!-has spiced pecans, oranges, bleu cheese, tossed in a homeade vinaigrette), and of course, Sister Schubert rolls, and for dessert-tiramisu!  

7.  Going to see The Dawn Treader with Ellie, Luke, and my sisters.  

8.  Time spent the week after Christmas with Laura Beth, Scott, and their munchkins.  Laura Beth, Scott, and I rung in the New Year with leftover vegetable soup and grilled cheese, bedtime stories, and baths.  In spite of the cold that John, Ada, and Andrew passed around, fun was had by all of the cousins.  And Ada cried big tears yesterday when they were all packed up saying good-byes.  Wish we lived closer, but thankful that for this season, it is just 3 hours.  (It used to be a plane ride)

9.  A few fun surprises under the tree for me :) 
-An Amy Butler sewing book
-"Hello, Cupcake"-a super fun and cute, "how-to" cupcake book.  
-My parents are going to help get Andrew's one year portrait framed.  Since he will be two next month, it is time he took his place on the wall next to his big brother and sister.  And it really isn't a priority in Steven's mind.  He usually just says, "At least we have the portrait, we can always get it framed."  Framing isn't cheap.
(There were other things, but trying to make this a highlight post)

Ellie's major gifts this year were:  Leapster 2, a Vtech camera, and Ruthie (American Girl)-This has a long story to go with it and because I will probably not get around to posting about it later, I will just say that she has been saving almost a year for this doll.  She has a chart and earned dollars for various chores, and/or would be rewarded for various things.  Family members would sometimes contribute dollars as well.  She had gotten to $50, so we went ahead and finished it up for her.  
Luke's major gifts were:  Leapster 2, the camera, remote control car, and lots of transformer, action-type figures.  

Andrew received some board books, and a magnetic drawing board, a ride-on truck from my parents, along with plenty of gummies (his favorite).  But his favorites, of course, were Ellie and Luke's Leapsters and the cameras. 

Christmas Eve evening.  Just because it was a too cute picture.
This one is for Steven.  And yes, the paci is pink.  It is from my mother's house.
 Staring at the "no" Christmas morning.  We're having some hair issues with Andrew.  Not quite sure what to do. :)  Water doesn't seem to hold it down.
 
Andrew opening his one gift on Christmas Eve.  Hoping it would become is "attachment" item.  He needs something besides pacis.  He liked it for one night.  Oh well.


We LOVE having the aunts home!
These two play so well together.  It is the cutest thing.
Steering the new car.
Extremely rare to get a group shot in our family.  Mary Ann (my mom's sister-far left) requested it.  So glad you did, Mary Ann! 
E & L's Christmas Eve gift-new PJs.  It has become kind of a tradition.  They will probably joke about it as they get older.  It is like us always getting an apple and an orange in our stocking every year :)
No LB :(  She hadn't arrived yet.
Christmas morning at our house.  Ellie and Luke are posing on the front porch.  Thankfully, that is the most they wanted out in it that day.  It was a very wet snow.  But very beautiful to look at!
And finally, Sarah reading to Ellie.  It won't be much longer before Ellie is reading to her.  She is doing really well!  We're really proud of her and she is pretty proud of herself.

I will just go ahead and predict that I won't be posting again for a week or two.  Steven's mother is flying in at the end of the week to help with everything while I am away.  I can't believe it, but I really am going to Glendale for the National Championship game.  Everything has kind of fallen into place.  I'm crazy excited.  Hoping my nausea will behave.  My doctor upped my Zofran from 4mg to 8.  It has been great.  Didn't even know that was an option.  So thankful to have it now!  

War Eagle!  I will touch base when I return...

3 comments:

JJ said...

I have been wondering about you! Just yesterday I was wishing for a new post :) Hope you are feeling better and have fun at the game! SO jealous!!

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness- I am jealous!! HAVE A BLAST! Let's hope its not a once in a lifetime experience, and I hope I can go next time- WAR EAGLE!!

Lele said...

Ann! I'm so glad you got to go cheer on the tigers!!

-the only thing I've made out of the amy butler book are the bloomers. I've been a slacker with my sewing lately and haven't tried any new patterns in a LONG while. Let me know what all you end up making from it! I'm interested to see how hard or easy some of the stuff is!