Monday, December 13, 2010

Some Christmas Things

Is it as FREEZING cold at your house as it is mine??  This morning Luke woke up and ran downstairs, asking where the presents were.  Somehow he had it in his head that snow=Christmas morning.  Andrew was enamored with it as well.  He has said "no" (snow) and pointed to the nearest window about one hundred million times today.  Ellie has begged to go out in it, somehow I've managed to avoid it by just saying "maybe later."

Tonight I am taking dinner to a couple in our church who have recently had a baby.  I am so very thankful that this was planned, because it forced me to buy some groceries on Saturday (which I didn't want to do at the time), but now I have a crockpot of soup ready to go for them and for our family tonight.  Which means I didn't have to get out and go to the store today.  It's the perfect day to have soup in the crockpot and not have to go to the store.  I still haven't had a shower (it's 2:00, although that isn't super unusual) and I don't know when I will get to it because I don't know if I can manage to take off my sweatshirt, or my warm, fuzzy socks.  Andrew is asleep, Ellie and Luke are playing quietly (for the moment) and I just thought I would say hi and give you a Barber update.

Because of the way I have been feeling, I am giving myself a "Christmas pass" this year.  I certainly want this Christmas to be special and fun for my children, but we will just do the main Christmas things.  Number one being-- pointing them, and myself, to why we celebrate.  I know I have said it once, but I so love our Jesse Tree devotional that we are doing.  I also don't think it is Christmas without Christmas music.  My two personal favorites, "O Holy Night", and "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel".  I have a version of "O Holy Night" that Celine Dion sings and "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" by Selah.  Powerful words, with powerful voices.  One thing that saddens me to no end is to hear such powerful gospel truths sung by someone who does not profess what they sing.  (Not necessarily referring to Celine Dion, although I don't know that I have ever heard of her publicly professing faith in Christ).    

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

Although, the best part of that last line, is that he HAS come!   
Rejoice, indeed!!

Moving on...Christmas cookies are a must, right?  My mother has always, always used the same butter cookie dough recipe.  So, she helped me out this year and prepared some and had it in her fridge and on Monday of last week, we went over and made those.  Paired with buttercream icing from Southern Living, they are THE BEST.  Laura Beth also did the same thing at her house and you can click here for the recipes.  Here are some pictures of our cookie day, thanks to mom's camera.








Before I go, I have to give you my soup recipe.  It's called White Chili and it's by Paula Dean.  But that name doesn't really do it justice.  It should instead be called The Best White Chili Ever.  It's easy, and so very yummy.  It's also one of those great soups that is best eaten with Tostitos Scoops.  You can't go wrong with that!  Also, it makes a lot, 10-12 servings.  And it is great re-heated.

5 cups chopped cooked chicken ( I don't actually use that much, just pull apart one rotisserie chicken and it is plenty)
3 (15 oz) cans Great Northern beans, drained
1 (32 oz) box chicken broth
1 (16 oz) jar mild salsa
1 (8 oz) package Pepper Jack cheese, shredded or cubed
2 tsp. ground cumin

You can garnish with cheese and sour cream if you like.

In an electric slow cooker, combine chicken, beans, broth, salsa, cheese, and cumin.  Cover, and cook on high for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  


*Basically, dump everything together, stir, and wait!!!*

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I love this post. So funny and cute that Luke came running down the stairs asking where the presents were. Also, Andrew saying "no" for snow. So precious.

I can't wait to make that white chili. Sounds great.

It is soooo cold here, too.

Love,
Mary Ann

The Slagleys said...

I made that chili last night and it was GOOD! The ingredients don't even sound like they will make such a good flavor, yum.

Esther Bratton said...

I am definetly trying the chili, sounds delicious. I am so amazed by you Ann! You do SO MUCH for yous children and others, all while smiling. You are such an awesome mom and I know one day these kids of yours are going to look back at all you've done and be so thankful. Let me know if you have any days open next week to hang out!!!

Hollen said...

I loved this! :) The pictures were precious, and the cookies looked really good! :) "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" is also one of my favorite Christmas songs. :) I really like "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" as well. ;)