Thursday, May 27, 2010

Shopping Trip Woes

WARNING: Long post and ranting about various mom things. Might only be interesting to family or possibly other moms at the same stage I am at.

Being a mother is exhausting no doubt. It is very often physical exhaustion, sometimes mental, other times emotional and spiritual. Usually it is a little of them all. Going to the store with all three is about all I can handle mentally. Are you hearing me?? I feel as though I am trying to run in water. Ellie sees something princess, Luke sees something Toy Story (thanks to Toy Story 3 coming out in a few weeks). Those marketing people know exactly what they are doing. Ellie and Luke have pretty much learned they are not getting anything, but they feel the need to exclaim to me, "Mom, look!!!!" over every. single. item they see that even remotely resembles something fun.

I am walking fast thinking, "please, just look straight ahead-not to the right or left", but of course they do not miss a thing. And bless his heart, Luke tugs at my arm to come see as if we have been searching the world over for this particular Lighting McQueen figurine and have finally, finally discovered where it has been hiding. Ellie just wants to "look", at the princess shirts. And I am thankful that "just looking" is a fun treat too, as it has taken awhile to get to that place. But ya'll, I really feel like it is dragging heavy weights on both ankles to get in and out and get the things that I need. There is also the actual, physical dragging on the buggy (I will show my Southern-ness and call it what we call it here in the South). For those of you Southerners who are thinking "what else would you call it?" (because that is what I thought when I was first made fun of)-outside of the Southern bubble it is called a cart. When we lived in Albuquerque, my friend Meg always gave me a hard time about that. Anyway, back to my rant, Ellie and Luke have the hardest time keeping their hands off (and feet and entire bodies for that matter) while I am trying to push. And then when we finally reach the end of the trip, Andrew has had enough of sitting and would prefer to be held. So I hold him and empty the items onto the checkout with one hand, while holding the baby on one hip, while trying to keep from running over Ellie and Luke who are crouching on the ground examining all the toys and candy on the bottom shelves. It is at that point that the physical exhaustion really begins to kick in.

We aren't even to the car yet and questions kick in...mainly one question. "Do we have to take a nap?" And then the mental exhaustion really starts to come as I have to answer lots of questions on the way home, and say things like, "Yes, Luke, I saw the green truck that was the same color as Chick Hicks." (even though I really didn't) Because if I say that I didn't see it, he will try to get me to see where it was even though we have long since passed it. Or he will ask about some random building, "Mama, why do we never go there?" And then I answer(again, not even sure exactly what building he is referring to) "Because we just don't need to." Do you have these kinds of conversations?

Oh, the trip to the store. Sorry if I sound really negative about it, but basically, I just got home and got them all three in bed (woohoo!)and am having a little vent on my blog. I'm trusting that you can relate.

Although it sounds like we are having a bad week, it is actually going a lot better than last week. Ellie's school book came in and she is doing really well with her vowels. We have had various things going on so there have been a few good outings for us all and some adult conversations for me, which is my sanity.

As exhausting as they are, they are so stinkin' cute.

We were driving in the car one morning this week, and there was some fog. Luke asks, "Why is it fuzzy outside, mama?"

Andrew has learned to say "mommy", and does he ever say it. Over and over at the top of his lungs sometimes. Can you believe he is still not walking? (Ellie didn't walk until she was 16 months) He is so very, very close. I think his thing is he doesn't really try to walk slowly. If I take his hand, he takes off, and then I let go and he just tumbles to the ground. He is definitely more active and mobile and has finally discovered our stairs. Honestly, I can't believe it has taken so long. The other morning I heard Ellie and Luke cheering for him "Good job, Andrew, you can do it" They love to cheer for him and he loves to hear it! I'm thinking he is taking a few steps, but I come out of my bedroom to see him at the very top of our (hardwood) stairs. I quickly explained to Ellie and Luke they can not encourage this.

Ellie has lost her bottom tooth (not sure where or when) and her other one is loose. She is about to be missing her four front teeth. (Her top two got knocked out on two different occasions) She won't be crunching into any apples for awhile.

So, that is it for now. Thanks for hangin' around until the end of this post. Hope to have some pictures for you next time.

8 comments:

The Morrisons said...

Ha! Oh yes we have those same exact conversations. I don't even want to think about 3 at the store. I am so thankful Margot is coming in the fall and the boys will both be in preschool. Hopefully, I can get all the errands done on those days.

LB said...

I think that all of parenthood feels like walking through quicksand. Getting ready to go anywhere, dinner time, bath time. And I only have two. Yikes. Do you do the grocery store with all three by yourself? Way to go Ellie and her vowels!! So, you're liking the book? Are you doing it with Luke, too, or just Ellie?

nurseheather said...

i wish i could say that i'm chuckling at your post but really, i'm all out belly laughing - partly because for once it is somebody else and not me. every mom i talk to says that their kids are running around, their is discipline, and shopping is chaos. but truthfully when i'm at the store, i'm the only chaotic one. every child is neatly sitting in the cart. i think life is getting better for me since the kids are growing. i remember that infant/toddler stage as being so difficult. now the kids are totally bribeable. paloma sits so nice in the cart if it is "donut day" and she knows there is a big, sugary, fattening doughnut at the end. give it time. as they age, it will get easier. but reading your post definitely puts a check in the "don't have 3 kids" category for me. this is why i teeter back and forth....good luck friend

Sarah said...

I can relate, Ann! Since my last rant on shopping with all three, I have not had an "actual" (as in, for a cartful of items) grocery trip w/children. Last night, I took my oldest for a "real" grocery trip (cart full-to-overflowing--oops! Guess that's BUGGY full for you. . . :) and it was very manageable, but I was SO tired by the time we were done. It just makes the day so long to put of shopping till the evening (unloading groceries at 9 pm? No thanks!). So, I haven't exactly found the perfect solution. I have a feeling there is no perfect solution at this stage.

I smiled about you unloading the items w/one hand. Yesterday, when I had the girls at Sam's, I was looking around at all these contented babies and toddlers sitting quietly in carts as parents paid and wondered, "what is the secret?!" I'm usually holding my youngest for the last half of the shopping portion. The longer the trip, the longer I'm holding her, which in turn makes the trip last even longer (I cannot push a full cart while prego while holding a two-year-old very well). I can relate to exhaustion after shopping! Sorry, I guess I just went on my own rant on your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

I don't know how you do it- I say this all the time, but it is all I can manage with one!I try to never go to the store with him unless I absolutely have to- and then all I have to say is THANK GOODNESS for those free cookies at Publix :)

Jeckiva said...

Glad there was a comment on FB about the blog. I hadn't been over to read in quite a while. You are an amazing mom, Ann! I get scared thinking about adding a number two and you handle three so well! I have to admit, I was glad to read Andrew is slow on the walking. Ashland still hasn't walked and i was getting concerned. He has taken up to five steps to go to someone, but ends up lunging forward. I was wondering if it was from his helmet, but I'm guessing he's just too excited to slow the process down. Crawling he has down, whether across the floor or as I found out today, out the doggie door!

Hollen said...

I remember my mom not wanting to take both Jonathan and I into the store!! :) My mom told me that when I was little I used to say, "What's that?" over and over and over! LOL I wish that there was someway that I could do the voice that I did it in too, but unfortunately that is rather impossible while typing! :)

Anonymous said...

Ann,
You just described my trips to walmart and home to a T! It is absolutely exhausting!

Corrie