Thursday, May 20, 2010

Adjustments

I was right, the last few days have gotten rather long.  I was beginning to see a lot of this.  You know, kids still in their pajamas way after breakfast, "I'm hungry", "I'm bored".  And way too much stuff was being pulled out of cabinets.  And really, I don't have a problem with that when it's for a day or so.  But after two straight days, I thought we could use something just a little different.
BTW:  We're going through a bit of weaning from the TV.  I refuse for us to sit around all summer and stare at a box.  So...we went to the library on Tues. and I have literally had to make them sit down and listen to me read.  They do not like it.  When I tell them we are going to read a book, you would think I just told them we are going to clean toilets.  Sad, I know.  I think we will get there, it just might take some time. 
So we loaded up babies, doggies, little ponies, etc. and everyone's strollers and headed to the walking trail near our house.  It was a good outing for everyone.  Besides, we better do it now, the dog days of summer will be upon us in no time.


We were moving right along for about 30 seconds before Ellie saw some weeds flowers she just could not resist. 


This girl LOVES flowers.  I think she gets it from my mom.  Who has had the most gorgeous peonies at her house.  And honestly, I can't blame her for loving those.  They are luscious.  But the weeds, not so much.

So I think Ellie takes after me in the athletic department.  It wasn't long before she was lagging behind.  Luke was more compassionate than I was.  (That isn't saying much-compassion isn't exactly one of my strengths.)  He was saying things like, "Ellie, I will wait on you because you are my friend.  It's okay, don't be sad."  He breaks my heart on a daily basis.
Towards the end of the walk, I folded up one of the strollers and put it in the back of mine.  The other one we left at the beginning of the loop and I promised Ellie we would get it on the way back around.  She was hesitant thinking someone would take it.  I promised her no one was coming after a pretend doll stroller- that and the fact that there was no one else on the trail convinced her it would be safe.  Notice how Luke has ended up carrying both the "babies".  He reminds me of the patient husband on a shopping trip carrying all of the bags while the wife shops. 
 
Yes, we are having to make some adjustments around here.  And I will be honest, at this point it is a tad bit overwhelming to think of them being home every single day.  Not just for the summer, but for the year(s)? to come as we have made the decision to homeschool.  But I know the Lord will give grace on a daily basis and still feel very confident that God has led us to this decision for our family.

As soon as I finish this post, I will move on over to Amazon and order this book. 
Ellie and Luke know that I will be their teacher now.  Ellie keeps asking very eagerly, "When are we going to start school?"  I'm not sure what she has in mind, but having to sit and listen to books being read to her isn't it.  Luke also chimes in, "You are our teacher now, aren't you going to teach us?"  I'm sorry, I'd hoped I was doing a lot of that on a regular basis.  How can a 3 and 5 year old be so intimidating?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading your blogs...so honest, funny and amusing :-) The kids are getting SO big! Way to go on the homeschooling front...when will you start? August? I will be praying for you. I may end up doing that someday, but right now I don't think I'd do to well. Just thought I'd say "hello" from Argentina!!

JJ said...

Hey Ann! I thought I would recommend Honey for A Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt. You may have already heard of it/read it. It has a great listing of books for each age and talks a lot about the benefits of reading as a family. I loved it!