Thursday, May 6, 2010

No Chicken for Awhile

I was reminded on Monday of the truth in the verse that is on my blog header.  "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth."  Proverbs 27:1 

Steven took Ellie and Luke with him to pick up Diana from her mom's and bring her here.  I had Andrew and we were running errands.  Before they left town, we went to McDonald's (as we often do on Mondays) and I had a grilled chicken wrap (as I often do), thankfully I was the only one who ate it.  At about 4:00 I started feeling nauseous.  I guessed it was just because I was getting hungry.  I tried eating various things to help my stomach.  Nothing helped.  It only got worse.  I was expecting Steven, Ellie, Luke, and Diana around 7:00.  I was trying to get some last minute things done and by that time Andrew was getting tired.  I decided to go ahead and give him a bath and because the nausea was really bad by this point, I just carried a plastic bag around with me.  I finally lost it right after Andrew's bath.  He was fresh from the bath, and crawling around with no clothes.  Thankfully, Steven walked in.  I was trying to convince him (and me) that it was just something I ate, now that I had thrown up I would be fine.  Not fine.  He suggested I go to my mom's.  I said okay.  I drove his car with a plastic bag in one hand and steered with the other.  I barely made it upstairs before I lost it again and the rest is kind of a blur.  I don't know how many times I threw up before we made it to the hospital, but it felt like about 100.  Well, I guess technically I just threw up a few times, after that there was nothing left to throw up.  And I'm sure you've been there.  When there is nothing to throw up, it just hurts.  Long story short, God was gracious and I was able to get a room at the hospital fast and get an IV in and finally have some relief at around midnight-I'm guessing.  Thank you, Zofran!!!  I remember mom and Steven leaving at 1:30.  I woke up at 3:00 and got up to go to the bathroom, I threw up then and that was the last time.  I was able to go home Tuesday after lunch.  I am still recovering.  It is Thursday and I am still fighting nausea and no energy.  The doctor said my white blood cell count was a little high, meaning some type of infection, meaning probably something I ate (guessing the chicken wrap) and not a virus.  Have you ever had food poisoning?  When will I feel back to normal?  I'm patiently waiting. 

It doesn't really work for moms to get sick like this.  But I am so very grateful for my mom who very quickly stepped up to the plate (as always).  As did Steven and I'm thankful Diana was at our house so she could stay with Ellie and Luke while he was with me at the hospital. 

Ellie was so cute when I got home.  She kept telling me how much she missed me, that she was sorry I was sick, and she would even rub my arm.  Luke was semi-interested, but mainly just wanted me to see his new Buzz Lightyear jacket that Diana got for him.  And of course, Andrew was just Andrew.

Pretty sure I am on the mend now.  Thanks to any of you that have said a prayer for us!  But I am going to remind you to pray some more.  Not for me, but for our country, its leaders, and most importantly the church in America.  Today is the National Day of Prayer.  Please pray that Christians in this country would be broken over the sin in our own lives and the sin of our nation.  That God would protect the freedoms that we still have.  Pray that all believers would have a hunger for the truth that is God's Word.  And we would desire obedience in every single area of our lives.  God doesn't desire just a part of us.  He wants our entire lives and hearts.  I know in my own life I will often, (but not enough) pray that God would make me see my sin as He sees it.  I fear that the church in America is very lukewarm and we as believers should be on our knees desperately asking God to change us!!

"So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth."  Rev. 3:16
BUT praise be to God, who is also full of mercy and compassion!!  "The Lord is gracious and merciful; Slow to anger and great in lovingkindness."  Ps. 145:8 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ann,

I had food poisoning when I lived and worked in Montgomery. One day I had eaten something for lunch in the cafeteria at the state office building where I worked, and began getting nauseated shortly before 5:00 (time to go home). I had to run to the ladies' restroom and throw up before I could even go home. I made it home but got sick on the way home, and was sick off and on all that evening and through the night. I can tell, however, that mine was not as violent as yours. I lived alone but was able to handle it alone. I was okay the next day but weak and stayed home from work. I will never forget how sick I was, so I know you will doubly never forget this awful bout you've had. I'm so sorry this happened to you, and I, too, am so thankful for your mom, Steven, and Diana. I hope you get completely well soon.

Love you,
Mary Ann

Mary Ann said...

Ann,

As you know Sarah did not write the above about the food poisoning. She was on my computer when she was at my house.

Mary Ann

Jodie said...

Oh Ann, how awful. I pray that you are much better soon! And I join you in prayer for our nation.

Sarah said...

Hey, Ann! So sorry to hear of your difficulties. I cannot speak to whether it was bacterial or viral, but what you describe sounds very much like something that has gone around in our county for the last couple months.

Casey and our two oldest girls had it a few weeks ago, and when Claire got it, we thought it was something she ate at first. Then, Case and Ruby got it almost *exactly* the same time (2 a.m.) more than a week later, and again, we first considered food poisoning. But it was something else that a lot of people in our area were getting, and if you ask Casey (who had food poisoning years ago), he'll say it's way worse than food poisoning.

Don't want to scare you, but you may want to look out for members of your family getting it. If it's the same thing my family had, it's viscious.

Brittany said...

So sorry Ann! Glad you are on the mend! I had food poisoning once right after I got my tonsils taken out! It was awful. But I never had to go to the hospital! So sorry!

Thanks for the encouraging word about prayer.. so important. Have a great weekend!