Saturday, March 27, 2010

Steven's Back and Peanut Butter Fudge

Hello blogworld! It's a beautiful, but a bit windy Saturday afternoon and I am sipping the last of my Sonic Diet Cherry coke. Andrew is sound asleep and Ellie and Luke are in their beds. I can hear Ellie "reading". Although we are working on her reading, like for real, without quotation marks around the word. We're not that close, but I do think she is ready, so we've been really working on making sure she knows every sound for every letter. Anyway, didn't really mean to get into that, just thought I would check in.

Steven is home and I meant to blog several days ago, but then one day would pass and then the next and I wouldn't/couldn't get around to it. I'm sure you know how that goes. Ellie and Luke were thrilled to see him, of course, as was I. Luke immediately asked for his "guprise". It was a red t-shirt with some camels across the front. He gave a half-hearted thanks. I don't know that camels is really his thing right now. Ellie was more excited than Luke since she got a lot of jewelry. Real stuff that is all hers.

To welcome Steven home, I made him some peanut butter fudge. It is from my good friend, Esther. She first made it for us after Andrew was born and we were hooked. Even more so, when I found out how easy it was to make. So Esther shared this peanut butter love with me and now I am sharing it with you.

Makes about 64 pieces

You will need:
-1 1/4 c. (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
-1 1/4 c. smooth PB (natural works best for flavor)
-1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
-4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
-pinch of salt *last time I only had salted butter, so I just omited this*

Cook butter and peanut butter over medium heat until mix comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add salt and vanilla.

Then stir in all that powdered sugar and mix it well. (It is a thick consistency) Pour into buttered pan and cover directly with a piece of plastic wrap. Chill until firm.

I can hear Ellie singing at the top of her lungs and that does not count for resting quietly in your bed. So I better run. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey, Ann! Glad he's back and you're doing well. RE: Ellie's reading, I thought I'd pass along a phonics website that we really love, in case you/she might like it. It is very good and child-friendly to navigate. Claire (3 1/2) does it by herself. It's www.starfall.com.

I love that the sounds are "real" phonics, that it is (child) user-friendly, and that it is free. My girls just love it 'cause it's fun! Ruby's in the same boat--ready to start. We're working on it. It's my goal to have her reading by the time baby's born (Julyish).

Mary Ann said...

Ann,
The peanut butter fudge was soooo good. Did you know I took two pieces back to my motel room with me Thurs. night, and ate them for breakfast Sat. morning, with my coffee? Dee-licious!

I loved seeing y'all Wed. - Fri.

Love,
Mary Ann