Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Baby Boys

This is what I see a lot of on a daily basis...

It makes it a bit of a challenge to keep a clean house when you are holding a 20 lb. baby on one hip.

Therefore anyone who comes into my house on any given day will more than likely see something like this...


But that is okay. Because I am going to blink and I won't be looking down at my little baby boy anymore. Instead, (if the Lord allows him to live a long, healthy, life) I will be looking up at a grown man. And he won't be tugging at my leg wanting me to pick him up. And even if he was, I wouldn't be able to. So I will let my house go for now and hold my baby instead. Because as hard as it is to believe on the days when I am up to my ears in laundry and dirty dishes and crying babies with dirty diapers, these days are fleeting.

Luke hasn't seemed to need his mama as much lately and it has kind of made me sad. He seems to be using his "deep voice" and talking about monsters and spiderman a little more and wanting me to hold him a little less. So a few nights ago when he was having trouble going to sleep and crying "I want my mama", as tired as I was, I didn't hesitate to make my way up stairs for one last hug and kiss goodnight.

Well, since no one needs holding right now, I better make my way to the dirty kitchen...

3 comments:

Brittany said...

what a great post! such a great reminder to appreciate the "now" and not wish for the next phase, b/c the "now" goes by so fast. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Ahhh...you just made me cry Mom :( I am so proud of you. Not that you need me to be proud of you:), but I am. I would gladly sit in any mess your house could offer and hold babies with you if I could be there...I'd push a dirty diaper aside and sit right beside you! When I had Maron, EVERYONE told me to let my house go, and I sort of said ok but inside thought, no-way! Now as I look back, oh how I wish I could get so many of those days back... I totally remember clingy days Jack would have and then all of the sudden, he didn't want to cuddle...thankfully, he is getting more so now I think because I have been pushing for it, haha :) Jackson was totally (probably because he was the second) the entertain yourself while I get this done child, as Maron was already old enough to do so much, I would have her help me and put him down way more than I wish I had. So, of course, eventually we will get it right with ONE of our kids, lol! I, by God's grace though, really am hoping I've learned my lesson and baby #4 will be the one I hold and cherish the most of all my babies, not wanting to repeat the last mistakes...and of course, I'm trying to shower them all with kisses now even though they aren't infants anymore :) You already know my stories of how God transformed me from my judgmental ways to see the broad spectrum of choices people can make with their lives, and I support freedom in Christ - so I say this only as one angle, I'm not trying to make anyone feel pressured - but I think this is one of the reasons breastfeeding is so precious and can be such a phenomenal blessing from God - we have to SIT down! We have to nurture that bond and it's hard to do while we're standing up busy with other things. I'm hoping to really cherish those hungry cries this time around too :) Much love and hugs to you friend...they are growing so fast, and are so precious, and have a wonderful Mama that would let the house go!! Love you dear friend.

R.

Melissa said...

i love this post Ann~ It so reminds me of what my house looks like!!! I had tears in my eyes because I feel exactly like you, before we know it we won't have babies anymore and replaced with babies will indeed be clean houses!! Until then, lets enjoy our messy homes with all the love they bring...
*I havent been a very good blog reader, that is why i am just now getting to this post!!!