Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Home From the Hospital

This is the third time I have tried to type this post and I have accidentally erased it both times. The second time I was almost done and it was quite a detailed post. So, I am getting tired now, but still wanted to try and do this. Last time I blogged Ellie was very sick with a very high fever. To make a long story short, it only got worse. I called the doctor on Monday morning because she had coughed all night long and woke up complaining that her mouth/throat hurt and was crying (clearly in pain). The doctor wanted to see her again to make sure it hadn't developed into something more.

Praise the Lord we called when we did and he saw her when he did, because she ended up having what the radiologist described as "early, but relatively large pneumonia". I can't believe I am writing the word yesterday, because it feels like days and days ago, but yesterday was maybe one of the worst days of my life. We drug Ellie (in the cold and rain) from the doctor's office, to have blood drawn, to have chest x-rays, then had to wait awhile on the results, then back to the doctor's office. All the while, the Motrin/Tylenol isn't really touching it anymore. Every time we had to get her out, she would scream or moan that she didn't want to go in. I kept telling her we were trying to make her feel better and we were going home soon. I asked her pediatrician if he could give her a shot of antibiotics so that it could get in her system faster. There wasn't any at the office, so we drove to the pharmacy to get it, then back to the doctor's office. I'm not really sure what changed his mind, maybe seeing how sick Ellie was, but when we got back to the doctor, he said he wanted to admit her to the hospital. At that point, I lost it. Crying, not screaming, mainly because she was absolutely miserable and I had been telling her we were about to go home. But also from relief, because she was so sick and I knew they could make her better faster.

When we get to the hospital, she is completely beyond her breaking point, and we still have to do the whole IV thing. They tried her right hand first and dug around for what seemed like forever with no luck. Then they tried her left arm and thankfully that was successful. She was hysterical the entire time. I know there are much worse things for your child to have to go through, but that one is pretty bad. It was the most wonderful feeling when she was finally admitted to a room, had the antibiotic going into her, and was asleep. It was a rough night of sleep because Ellie and I were sharing a twin hospital bed and Steven was on a pull out couch. But I was just so thankful to be there-especially when her fever went up to 104.7 in the night. It was such a relief to have the nurses treating her and deciding what to do instead of me.

I was a little disappointed this morning when she didn't seem much better. But she made significant improvement as the day went on. The doctor wanted to see her oxygen level go up(which it did), and her breaths per minute go down(which happened as well). They also wanted to see her up and moving some and coughing well, so as to break up that stuff in her chest. She did both of these things. So, after one more dose of antibiotics this evening we were able to go! I am so thankful to be home I could almost cry. I am also thankful for so many other things, but here are some of the main ones:

1. That we were in the children's unit, not the PICU, and that Ellie was in the hospital for something very treatable.
2. That we have health insurance (not good), but that we have it.
3. This may sound awful-that it was Ellie and not Luke. Ellie is much better with doctors. (Last time she had a shot she flinched a little-Luke gets hysterical if a doctor listens to his heartbeat.)
4. That this baby is still in my tummy and I wasn't trying to also nurse a baby during all of this.

Also, if you knew about this and were praying for us, thank you so, so much!! I have to say that it has been so crazy these last two days I haven't prayed nearly as much as I should have. God has been gracious to us, far beyond what we deserve. Please say a prayer that Ellie will keep getting better and completely back to normal very soon.

8 comments:

The Morrisons said...

I can't believe she has pneumonia. Micah has it too and I randomly decided to take him to the doctor and we caught it "early." Hopefully the antibiotics will work better for her than Micah. His must be viral because he still has it after 10 days of them. I do want to be more sympathetic though because he moans at night that something hurts, and he won't say what. I want to be like are you stalling or does it really hurt and please tell me where. He will also start wailing throughout the day and I am like "what is wrong?" He has a hard time communicating pain to me. Thanks for reminding me that he is hurting! I hope she is feeling much better soon.

The Morrisons said...

oh yeah, did they give you any sort of recovery time period? I have been contemplating taking Micah back in, but didn't know if it might just take a while. It has been a little over two weeks. Just wondering what they said.

Hollen said...

Hi! I a mso glad that little Ellie is back home! Nana, Poppy, Mom, Dad, Jonathan, and I all ate at Red Lobster last night after we picked them up and that is when Uncle Steve called to say she was going home and we were so happy! I think the two worst times I have ever been sick was when I had the stomach bug in Chattanooga when we first moved in and then when we lived her I got asthmatic bronchitis for the second time...ick..I had it in Georgia but it was a lot worse here because at first we thought it was bad cold..then strep throat...then I had to go to the Urgent Care and they said that they couldn't do anything because it was viral and antibiotics don't help with that and then I just got worse and I had to go to the Emergency Room...wow, what a week! LOL I was SOOOO sick! But, I'm so glad that Ellie is feeling better...I'm sure what I have been sick with can't compare to what she's been through! Love you all!
Hollen

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

Ann..I read yesterday that she was in the hospital..and began searching for your mom's number..and she sid she had just dropped you guys back off..I am so sorry she had to go to the hospital, but I can imagine wanting them to make the decisions and not me! It is so scary when it is your child..I am glad she is feeling better and pray that she only continues to get better!!! I hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

The Morrisons said...

Thanks for the info. I guess it is just what causes the pneumonia-a bacteria or virus. I think bacterial is the one that causes the high fevers. Micah hasn't had high temps only like 99-100 and his came on slowly over the course of a week following croup (also very scary). I think these were all clues that his is viral. The antibiotic was just a precaution I think. Hope she is better soon. Micah had a good day today, he only complained that it hurt when he laid down. I have heard from my mother-in-law that that is when it hurts the worst. Our poor babies! Talk to you soon.

nurseheather said...

hey ann, i am so sorry to hear about poor ellie. what a bummer. i think unfortunately it is going to be a bad respiratory season, at least here based on what we are already seeing. and your right, luckily you did take her in when you did, pneumonia has a way of taking nasty turns. scary when it is your child and there is nothing you can do for them. i'm glad you had a good group of nurses - that makes me smile. sending prayers your way for a safe and speedy recovery.

The Slagleys said...

I cannot believe how all of this happened in just a day or so! You are not kidding about being thankful this baby is still inside- it would make my head spin to deal with all of that right now! Kelly is hanging in there... it won't be long until she is telling her crazy motherhood stories. I am glad Ellie is home and healing!

JJ said...

Ann - I am so glad you were able to find out what was wrong and get the attention she needed! I'm sure it was frightening and I am so glad she is better! Keep me updated with your pregnancy!
Love ~ Joy