Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Successful Huntsville Trip!

So, yesterday I was in Huntsville running several errands with mom and Luke, while Ellie was at school. I wanted to peek in Toys 'R' Us and look at the tricycles. That is going to be Ellie and Luke's main Christmas gift. I have looked at Wal-Mart, but wanted to price them there as well. If Ellie had been with me, there is no way I could've gone in there. Too much! Almost too much for Luke. But Ellie's personality is this-she can't be happy for what she has, she is always worried about what she doesn't have or others who have more. (Ex. Steven brought Luke one gift from Greece (trucks) and Ellie got a couple of things. Yet she couldn't enjoy her toys, she wanted her toys and the trucks) I think we probably all have a little of that in us. Luke enjoyed it, because I let him try out a tricycle, which ended up being a good thing, because the one I was going to get him was just a little too small.

So, on the way in the store, there was a sales guy from the Huntsville Times. He asked if we wanted to register for a shopping spree at Toys 'R' Us. Why not? So, then he asks me if I read the paper. I was like, you are just the person I would love to talk to! Actually... I began to tell him the whole ordeal about not getting the coupons and how frustrated I have been. He set me up for around $6 a mo. to get the paper delivered each week to my door and guaranteed to have all coupons in it!!! I have his name and #, if there are no coupons, I can just give him a call. How great is that! And...I got a $5 gift card to Toys 'R' Us for signing up, and Luke was able to ride home with a little Lightning McQueen and Mater! He is obsessed with those guys right now.

Also...LB sent me a blog that matches great deals with coupons that you can print off of her blog. So, I went to Publix and took advantage of several buy one get one free (BOGO-I am having to learn all this money saving lingo). So, this is what I got-someone tell me if it is a good deal:

2 bottles of Crisco EVOO
2 (64 oz) Juicy Juice
2 Coffeemate creamers

And my total was $9.77. I needed the olive oil, and creamer immediately, and always, of course, need juice. If this grocery game works and I can drive to Publix once a week and shop (with gas so low right now) and if it saves me as much as it says it can, I would be one happy mama! Publix is so, so much nicer than Wal-Mart. And just maybe, I could go by myself and have about an hour in the car with just me and my thoughts!

6 comments:

LB said...

that's great about the paper!!! And I think 9.77 is a great total. Isn't EVOO normally fairly expensive and you got 2 bottles plus the other stuff for that price. I need to go to Toys R' Us to price ride on toys. I found one at Wal-Mart for less than 20--17, I think, so I doubt I will find cheaper than that. Are you getting them one tricycle to share?

Rachel said...

Can you send me the blog that matched the coupons with deals? I am the same way about drinving to Publix- it is alot further for me, but I hate Walmart!

Ole Miss Mom said...

hi ann!!! glad you're trying the CVS deals. I try to keep rolling them and find the "moneymaker" deals. UNLESS, it is something like diapers or wipes that I absolutely need. But I find that if I can roll my buck with stuff we use/need, it opens up room in the budget for other items. I'm still learning. I learned a lot from iheartcvs.com and other $$ blogs. I've gotten better at finding the deals on my own through the ads.

keep it up! You'll get it. I'd say it's taken me a year to really "get" publix and cvs...and really see some savings. It's fun for me now. Also, you've got to figure out the way you like to organize coupons the best! That took a while too.

Anyways, looks like you'll be joining the "3 kids" train soon! It's so much fun!! We can't wait to have more! :-)

Are you here in bham?

Hollen said...

That is so funny that Ellie is that way! Yes, I'm positive that we all have some of that in us! :) Ooh..that sounds like a great deal!
Hollen

Rachel said...

Thanks so much for sending that to me- I find it's really helpful... I am not sure I have the time to really "grocery-game" it since I work full time, but I cut coupons and try to use them on stuff that is on sale- so that blog is great for me... thanks so much! Oh, and your kids are so adorable!!

Amy said...

At Publix, with BOGO, you don't actually have to buy 2 to get the good price. You can just buy 1 of the items for half price. It took me a while to figure that one out!