Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Thus Far

So, you haven't heard from me in awhile for several reasons. The holiday season kind of came in with a bang. After Ellie's hospital stay she has made a slow, but full recovery (which I am extremely thankful for) and we were busy with that plus Thanksgiving. The next week we enjoyed a quick, but great visit from Steven's parents. (who, in case you didn't know, live in Albuquerque) The day they arrived we had a Christmas dinner at our church-which Steven's dad spoke at. It was excellent! Everything-the food, the speaking, the fellowship, the decorations. Several of the ladies in the church decorated the tables-so fun! His parents' visit was a huge blessing. I am extremely blessed to have what I think is an out of the ordinary in-law situation. They are the most kind, gracious, loving people you will ever meet! Diana (Steven's mom) is incredibly gifted in the area of interior design and "did her thing" with much of my house. I am thrilled over it.

I would have pictures-but that is mainly why I haven't been blogging. Our computer situation is the pits right now. Our main computer (which I do all of our picture stuff on) is so messed up. I did manage to make a Christmas card on Kodak gallery, after spending at least an hour working on it, only to have it freeze and then having to start all over. Anyway, that really leaves Steven's laptop which he always has with him. So, then by nighttime when there is finally time to blog, I don't feel very motivated anymore and I can't do pictures on it anyway. So...all of that to say I am pretty bummed because I have great pics to share and a lot really has been going on.

As for Ellie and Luke updates-they are doing well. Very much enjoying the Christmas season. As I type this, Luke is asking for "ar pess" which for awhile I thought he was asking for "Laura Beth". Then I quickly figured out he is saying "Polar Express". He is absolutely OBSESSED with this movie. We discovered it on TV one night and recorded it. He would seriously watch it over and over and over if we would let him. Ellie enjoys the one line where the little geeky boy says "stupid underwear". So, we've now been introduced to that word and try not to encourage it, but it is pretty funny when they both crack up over that line.

Ellie is upstairs putting up a fight over going to bed. Ellie and Luke typically go to bed at the same time, but today Ellie did not have a nap and did have a full day at school and is clearly ready for bed. She is doing much, much better. And I am so thankful, because that in between stage was pretty rough-a lot of whining and extreme meltdowns. Her school program is next week. She has been singing a lot of Christmas songs. Her class (3 yr. olds) are going to be Santas. She sings "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" all the time. Which, I haven't ever really thought about it, but now that I have a child who sings it and pays attention to the words, I don't really love it. Think about some of the words "you better not cry, you better not pout...he sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake...he knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake" It's not a huge deal, I don't think any permanent damage will be done. But it really goes against what I want Ellie and Luke to understand. That they can't be "good" on their own, Christ is the only one who can produce that in them. Not to mention, he sees you when you're sleeping and awake sounds a little weird to me. Anyway, like I said, not too worried about it, just thought I would throw those thoughts out there.

One more thing about Luke. We had a major breakthrough yesterday. He desperately needed a haircut and if you keep up with this blog, you have seen what that is like. So, I told him where we were going and needless to say, he wasn't thrilled. Well, I couldn't find a parking spot and I could see several men waiting at the barber shop. It was kind of rainy and I just thought I don't want to deal with this today. So, we went to Wal-Mart and I decided to give their "salon" a shot. There was no wait and I sat down with Luke in the chair. At first he panicked, but then for whatever reason, he got okay. He did great and even laughed at one point because he said it tickled. I was so proud of him, I let him pick out a car (another major obsession these days!!). He was very excited about the car...until today. Mom and I were back in Wal-Mart (I'm there a lot). I guess he thought this was a new thing that we got to do every time we were there-pick out a toy. He saw several things he wanted and when we told him we couldn't take them home, he flipped out!!!! We tried offering the car he had just gotten yesterday-but all of a sudden it was old in comparison to the new toys on the shelves. This was a new thing for him-a tantrum in public-and I mean a tantrum! People were looking and he was so upset, like, he was having trouble catching his breath. I guess it's to be expected-he is almost 2 1/2.

As for me and this pregnancy, things are moving along. I feel as though the first trimester went by pretty slowly because I was so sick. The second trimester flew by and now things have slowed down again a bit. Christmas definitely helps, though. I mean, as soon as Christmas as here, we are looking at about 6 weeks. Some days I think I can definitely do that, others, I think no way. My back bothers me a lot and I have Braxton-Hicks quite often-especially going up and down our stairs, bathing the kids, bending over, etc., etc. This is the first house I've been pregnant in that has stairs, so maybe, just maybe I will go into labor on my own. I have been induced twice and would love to experience that, but I also don't want a 10 lb. baby. So, we'll see. For now, I'm trying to enjoy these last few months of putting kids down and having free time, sleeping all night, and all that stuff you take for granted until you have a newborn.

Alright, can you tell I haven't blogged in awhile? If you're still reading...I hope you are enjoying this Christmas season thus far!

5 comments:

nurseheather said...

oh girl, how i can so relate on some things with you. had to chuckle about the whole santa thing. we don't do santa around here, but makes for impossbile situation since the advertising is relentless. well lets just say a barney christmas movie sparked some interesting conversation around our dinner table one night. mattea is too stinkin smart. i'm just waiting for her to ruin the news to all her little friends at preschool. luckily though going to a christian preschool, santa has not been brought up yet -yeah! congrats on the hair breakthrough. what a relief. and congrats on the whole walmart thing. i recently started going to try and control our food budget but i hate it and i hate it more with kids so i give you credit. hang in there and have a wonderful holiday

Lele said...

Ann! It was so great to see you guys last week! I really miss y'all! Thanks for catching us up on your life! and I"ll see you in just FEW WEEKS!!

Amy said...

Ann--I'm glad to hear that Ellie's back to normal and that things are going well for you and the rest of the family. Merry Christmas!

Vanessa said...

I think the -being pregnant with stairs thing- is tough! When I was pregnant with Brady that was the first time I had stairs, too. It was tough! I think just being pregnant and having two other children to take care of is pretty tough, too!! Take care!

Hollen said...

Hi! Thanks for posting. OH HOW CUTE! LOL That is so adorable that Luke loves that movie! We like it here too...and oh how funny about the line that Ellie likes! Jonathan LOVES that line as well. LOL :) Merry Christmas!
Hollen