Saturday, November 22, 2008

Seriously Sick Little Girl

I went to Huntsville on Thurs. (yes, again) for my doctor's appt. and I got a call from Ellie's teacher at school that she was burning up and didn't seem to feel well at all. Steven went and got her and took her to mom's house until I could get home, because, well, let's face it, most dad's aren't too good at the sick/nurturing thing. She threw up shortly before I got there and she only started feeling worse the rest of the night. Her fever got up to 104 under her arm. To make a long story short, she is still sick, with a fever that today was up to 104.4!

We took her to the doctor yesterday and he checked out several things. It looks like it's just some kind of virus. He didn't seem too concerned about the fever being that high. But it certainly makes me nervous when I see those numbers. She has never been lethargic and is always willing to drink, so that is good. I hate to see her feeling so awful and I also hate feeling so helpless. I'm also praying no one else gets it. That would make for a really fun Thanksgiving! Luke has pretty much stayed away from her except for once when I told him Ellie was sick. He then wanted to play doctor and check her out (they pretend this a lot when Ellie is well). So, time will tell if anyone else is catching those germs. If there is anyone reading this who has had a similar experience with such a high fever, I'd love to hear about it!

Needless to say, it has put our Thanksgiving preparations on hold for a few days. I had wanted to be a little more prepared for company and do some things ahead of time, but oh well, life throws curve balls. There are worse things, for sure. We just want Ellie back to normal.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

So sad about Ellie. I don't think my girls have ever had a temp anywhere near that high, but I thought it might be encouraging that my Ped's office doesn't take anything less than 105 degrees seriously (which I have to say really alarmed me, but they do see alot of fevers, right?).

I'll pray for you all and Ellie. God bless!

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

I hate when children are sick..they seem so helpless and it is just no fun! Especially around holidays! That is supposed to be a "Only Fun time/ No sickness"..One time Brylee's fever got high at school and I freaked out when I picked her up and it was late, I knew the doctors wouldn't be able to see her, so I took her to the emergency room..I know..crazy huh?!? Long story short, they tested everything..including chest, blood, xray, bladder infection..and they said some numbers where high, so she probably had a bladder infection..gave her a shot of antibiotics and sent her home and said to see dr. next day...he took her off antibiotics and said it was probably a viral thing..and her numbers were up b/c fevers make them go up..he seriously doubted bladder infection b/c numbers were down! LOL..got much better..but I have heard of some children having "fever viruses" where they just run a fever and that is it! So..I hope she gets better really soon!!! Sorry so long!

The Morrisons said...

Micah's fever tends to go really high too. I always ran really high fevers when I was little. Really though that is a good thing because the high temps will probably kill the bug faster than if she were just running like 100 or something. Hope she is feeling better soon. Don't let those fevers scare you. If you want her to feel better, alternate tylenol and advil (the combo really gets those numbers down). Also, a luke warm tub. Not cold or hot, like the temp of your wrist. It will feel cold to her because she is so hot, but it helps bring that temp down too. Hope this helps and that you can all stay healthy.

Ann said...

Thanks for all the advice. I have learned a lot about fevers/viruses and such over the past few days. I called my pediatrician again last night and he pretty much said the same stuff, I just felt so helpless. I have been alternating tylenol/motrin and that does seem to work the best. (if she doesn't throw it up) And he did explain to me that fever isn't what he worries about so much as the symptoms. She really doesn't have too many other symptoms except she feels terrible and throws up ocassionally. Thanks again!

Sara said...

I talked to Laura and she was telling me that Grayson has a really high fever over 104 for several days. The Motrin wouldn't even help bring it down. He had no other symptoms though and it came down after a few days. We have all had the everlasting cold. I am just hoping Caroline stays healthy.

Stephanie said...

Hey Ann! I have Ellie on 3 prayer chains and have emailed several others to pray! I am so sorry she had to be admitted to the hospital! My little 8 year old cousin Brooke (uncle Steve and Faith's daughter) had to be hospitalized twice with pneumonia when she was very little like Ellie. Once she was in for 4 days. Even though that is awful, it was encouraging to hear that someone else had been through it and came out just fine. Please know we are praying for you all and especially Ellie, and you that you don't take what she has. We love you and miss you. I got Ellie and Luke some Disney sippy cups while in Scottsdale. I am going to try to mail them in the next couple of weeks. Love you, Steph

Hollen said...

I am so sorry that Ellie is so sick...praying for you all!
Hollen

Jimbo and Hayley said...

Hey Ann! So sorry about Ellie. I hope she feels better very soon. We will be praying.