Monday, November 17, 2008

Just Another Barber Monday

My last post keeps reminding me of how long it has been since I blogged. Or at least, it seems like a long time. Mainly because Steven has been to Greece and back since then. So, I was a single mom for about 10 days. That may sound worse than it was, because we actually went to visit my aunt and some of my mom's family for over half of it. However, the last few days were pretty long and I honestly don't know how single moms do it.

But God is good and brought Steven home safely, quite tired and suffering from jet lag, but nevertheless, he is home and we are all very thankful...Luke especially! He has been like a little crab hanging onto to Steven.

Things are getting back to normal and today we spent our usual Monday at home. Steven takes Mondays off because he spends most of the weekend studying. I really look forward to Mondays because typically we don't have anywhere to go, and Steven plays with Ellie and Luke, and we get stuff done around the house, and I don't really have to "get ready". But because Mondays seem like such "free days" to me, I sometimes get overwhelmed. Where do I start? And my expectations are often too high for what I can get accomplished in a day.

Today it was rapidly approaching mid-morning and really nothing had been done and Ellie and Luke were soaking in a little too much morning TV. I decided I would give some Christmas card pictures a shot. I thought I would get them ready and take them outside, rake some leaves, let them play and get some exercise, killing several birds with one stone, and somewhere in the midst of all that capture the perfect Christmas card picture. Not so much! I had them fixed and ready to go and realized the battery in the camera was dead. So I would charge it a little, take a few pictures, then have to charge it some more. I got maybe one that could possibly be used. Ellie would cheese for the camera, or pout because she had to put down her hot pink bucket (didn't think that would go so well with red and green) and Luke was so busy with his "BIG truck" or looking for big trucks. Most of the pictures ended up something like this



Another thing I was frustrated about today- our newspaper (for like the last 6 weeks) has decided not to put all the coupon booklets in. One of my friends here in town called about it and they said if they run out they were instructed to leave the coupons out of the outlying areas. I, like several other blog friends, am trying to be very wise with our grocery budget and clip coupons and save, save, save. How in the world am I supposed to do that with no coupons? They must think we country folk don't want to save money.

Anyway, I did run to CVS today to take advantage of a few sales. While I did get a lot for my $, I can't seem to make the total ring up to practically nothing, like I keep reading about. Very frustrating! LB keeps talking about the Grocery Game. I'm going to have to give it a shot.

Tonight Steven had a meeting right after dinner, which left just me and the kiddos to fend for ourselves once again. Things went well, but Ellie is having a rough time these days and my belly is getting bigger and heavier, which unfortunately, at the end of the day, leaves me with not much patience for her fits. She is having so much trouble taking instruction. It has worn me out the last few days. Sometimes I want to scream, and I think I actually have, why can't she just "get it"? Just obey me. Just do what I say the first time. Hmmm...good thing the Lord doesn't treat me like that. I so desperately need just an ounce of His patience and wisdom to teach her!

So, was today a "successful" day? In spite of my agenda to get things accomplished, and in spite of my lack of patience, compassion, and kindess-did my family see Jesus in me? Yikes! I pray that God used me today on this mission field that He has called me to.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I hear you, Ann! Sometimes I've caught myself getting bummed thinking about how God isn't that kind of parent with me--why can't I be like Him?! Then, (a few days) later, I realize that *of course* I'm not like Him, and it should actually be *encouraging* that I cannot possibly compare myself to Him--what a wonderfully good and big God! May He give us the strength and patience to deal with our children!

LB said...

hey, we had a very similar day yesterday. And I thought the same thing, "why can't she just obey me?" By the time Scott got home, I was ready to cry. She was climbing on kitchen chairs and even the oven, which obviously makes getting dinner ready quite difficult:) And nothing I do as punishment seems to help. But I am determined to make today better. She already fought me this morning when I changed her diaper. You would have thought she was at the doctor's office. Still--it has to be a better day:)

nurseheather said...

bless your heart - you have your hands full. if it is any encouragement, i share your sentiment, i think many of us do. God's grace allows us to wake up the next day washed white as snow - and that is what i cling to after going to bed remembering how much i yelled, or how i was so uncompassionate to the kids. we're all there with you. life gets better though and God is good!

Hollen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...sry it really isn't that funny that your pictures didn't turn out good but Ellie and Luke's face in that picture were just priceless! Glad that Uncle Steve is back home safely! :)
Hollen

Unknown said...

I'm right there with ya babe! It turns out we are not the only ones training all day long - God is also training us! Hope you are well today, sad our conversation got cut short last night. Shoot me an email when you can. Can't wait to see Barber Baby 3! Hope you are feeling well in your pregnancy and getting everything accomplished (when possible) that you need to! ~R