Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Sleepy Anniversary

Well, today Steven and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary. Six years ago if you had told me that six years from now I would be 21 weeks pregnant with our third child, I would have had a hard time believing it. Especially since we said we were going to wait 3-5 years for our first child, haha! Which, we laughed about today and both agreed, we are very thankful to be where we're at. Even with the everyday stresses, we are so blessed beyond what we deserve.

When I was pregnant with Ellie we said we would have a date night once a week and I think we did it for a little while. Three and half years later (I am very sorry to say) they are very few and far between. We do, however, try to make it a point to celebrate our anniversary. It's so funny because several months ago we would mention how we would like to do this or that for our anniversary and as the date approached and the budget got tighter, it got reduced from an overnight thing, to a full day out with lunch, a matinee, and then dinner, then finally to just matinee and dinner. And since we couldn't find anything we were just dying to see and didn't want to waste $12 on a movie, we decided to do just dinner. We were both so sleepy that we (or at least I) almost felt drugged, in spite of a few extra caffeine doses. A nap would've been good, but I knew if I went home to sleep then I would see all that needed to be done around the house and feel like I needed to be doing something (not that I would actually do it-I just didn't even want to think about it). So we headed to Chattanooga and ended up driving to Signal Mountain and went to Signal Point. It was beautiful and very relaxing up there. We went a few other places in Chattanooga, ate dinner, got some coffee and came home. Conversations are so different and easy to have when you aren't refereeing fights or cutting up food. It was a very refreshing day off, out of the ordinary, and very beneficial, I feel like, for our marriage. Tomorrow everything will go back to normal (or really, it already has, because as I type this, I am yelling into Ellie's room she needs to be quiet and go to sleep) But for today it was a wonderful little breather from all the reality of a marriage after you throw in a 2 yr. old, a 3 yr. old, a pregnancy, and a very real mortgage!

3 comments:

LB said...

yea for a date!! I feel like marriage looks so different away from the kids. It's like you remember the person that you originally dated:) Happy Anniversary!!

nurseheather said...

I can completely feel your pain - life is so different. At times, I will admit that I do get resentful and desperately long for the wonderful days I had with my husband all to myself. i now have to share him with a couple other "ladies" By no means would I change my life but I do miss that sweet time alone. Congrats on 6 years, we celebrated six this year as well. Good luck on the upcoming days as the pregnancy winds down.

Lele said...

Happy anniversary, ann! I can't believe it's been 6 years!

Remember when Kelly and I used to call you crying because we missed you so bad??? :)