Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Abigail's Arrival

Abigail Ann Barber
7 lbs. 3 oz.  
20 in.
Born June 27, 2011 3:53 a.m.

Posted several pictures on facebook, but I didn't want to leave out my blog.  And since I have a few "quiet" days in the hospital before I go home, I thought I would quickly post.  Won't be doing much of that for awhile in the next few weeks-I'm guessing.  Anyway, the exciting news is I went into labor on my own!  Well, the best news is Abigail is here and healthy and everything went well.  But I guess she did not want to be induced, so she decided to wait until the last minute before induction and then come on her own.  Sunday afternoon around 4:30-5:00, I started having contractions that were fairly distinct-as in a definite start and an end.  Oh, and the backs of my legs had been hurting for several hours before.  Very crampy everywhere.  So, like everyone says, after awhile, you will know...the contractions didn't stop.  Steven was in Chattanooga teaching a class for his dad at his church.  Diana and Stephanie were on their way to our house from Chattanooga with the kids.  I called mom to give her a heads up that she and dad might be driving me to the hospital.  So, that's pretty much what evolved over the next few hours.  I had time to see my children (thankfully) for about 30 minutes.  Got in touch with Steven right before we pulled out.  On the way to Huntsville the contractions were still about 8-10 min. apart, but getting stronger when they would come.  I was still scared they would turn me away because they weren't close enough together.  My hope was that they would let me stay on the basis of my being already dilated at least to a 3 (hoping at that point maybe I was a 4) and that I was supposed to be there at 6 in the morning anyway for an induction.  I was right-based on that information, the nurse said come on in-we'll keep you.  Although, I do love labor details, for the sake of time, I will just tell you that I was admitted and when they checked me, I was about a 5.  Again, the contractions were getting more painful, but still plenty of time to rest in between.  Waited for an epidural.  It went well, continued to dilate to about a 7, and then things slowed down a bit.  Things creeped by after about 1 a.m.  Finally ready to push, it only took a few contractions to push through and she was here!  







I am in love for a fourth time.  It never gets old!  And I think my other children are in love too.
"...my cup runneth over"

9 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Precious post, precious pictures.

rhodes1 said...

I can't get over how natural Ellie looks holding her, and how huge her smile is. She finally has a sister! Oh wow, I can't wait to come see her in two weeks!

Laura Forman said...

She is absolutely beautiful!! I am so glad that everyone is doing so well. I will be praying for you over the next few weeks as I am sure it will be a busy time at the Barber house! Love you!

Lindsey said...

you make beautiful babies!! way to go mama!! congratulations to your family of 6! love from texas! xoxox lindsey

Esther Bratton said...

She is SO PRECIOUS and I can't get over how grown up Ellie looks holding Abigail!!!! I don't know that I will be able to sleep tonight from excitement about finally seeing her tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lele said...

Congrats, Ann!! She is just so beautiful and perfect! :)

Sarah said...

Ann, I just came to see if you'd had her yet, and I'm so excited! She's beautiful! Congratulations on baby #4 (and hurray for going into labor on your own!)

I mean to get back with you soon, but I think you're very agreeably occupied nowadays! Love to you and your precious family! Wish I could see her (and you!) in person. Thinking of and praying for you. God bless you!

joy said...

she is gorgeous! so so so happy for you!

Amanda said...

She is beautiful Ann! Can't believe our little ones are only 1 day apart wish we had been at the same hospital. Maybe they will be friends at Auburn one day :) I'm sure you are so busy with 4. One is amazingly busy for me...ha!