Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Safe and Thankful!

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth."  Proverbs  27:1
That is the verse I used to have in the heading of my blog.  We experienced the truth of it last week as deadly tornadoes hit our area and all over the state of Alabama.  We spent most of the day and Wednesday night at our very gracious neighbor's house.  They have a very safe basement and had a generator to provide electricity after the power went out late in the afternoon.  Once we realized it would more than likely be days before we had power again, mom traveled with me and the kids to my aunt's in south Alabama.  Steven stayed to take care of things around here and to help where he could.  I felt a little guilty about escaping, but I was also thinking that if we stayed, I would be of no help to anyone-pregnant with three small children.  I also thought Steven might be able to do more if he wasn't having to tend to us.  We were well taken care of.  Mary Ann-thanks again for taking in my entire crew  for a few days!  Our refrigerator is pretty bare and we are slowly re-stocking it, but my goodness, that is nothing to complain about.  So grateful just to have a refrigerator to re-fill.  This tragedy changed our lives for a week or two, but for so many their lives will never be the same again. 

Can't help but be in awe over the power of God when I see the pictures and videos of the storms and the devastation that they brought.  So thankful that the One who is that powerful is also merciful, gracious, compassionate, and good.

This is a video of the tornado that came through Rainsville, AL.  About 15-20 miles from us.


I've been especially weepy/hormonal over the past few days.  I had THE "slightest" little accident yesterday in Huntsville as I was on my way to the doctor's office.  I was driving in the left lane and another car was in the right lane and I felt a slight bump.  That was it.  But of course, we had to pull over, I had to call the doctor and re-schedule and then I spent the next 20 minutes getting in and out of the car, in the rain, on the phone with insurance.  I was trying so hard not to cry, but couldn't stop the tears.  I know the lady I bumped into thought I was crazy.  Then when I finally got Steven on the phone, I couldn't stop crying as I tried to explain what had happened.  I'm guessing the craziness of the last week plus some pregnancy hormones are making the tears flow a lot more than normal. 

Like I said, it has been such a crazy week, however I am counting my blessings...

No comments: