Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Have a Nephew

I think most people who read this blog also read my sister's. So..sorry if this is old news. But it is worth repeating. John Thomas arrived on Monday around lunch time and God was gracious (as was Steven) and I was able to be there--like, right there when he arrived. There is absolutely nothing, at all, in this whole wide world as miraculous.

He is doing well, although there are/were a few complications. For those of you who are interested in knowing a lot more, you can read here and then here for the most recent update. Basically when he took his first breath he tore a small hole in his lung. He had a tube put in. Now the hole is closed up, the tube is out, but he has an infection and jaundice. He is in the NICU and more than likely will be for a few more days. Laura Beth was going home tonight. She desperately wants to nurse and has been able to a few times. But they are also feeding him with a bottle. And she will pump while she is at home until she can get back tomorrow.

I am going to steal a few pictures from Sarah's blog.



Isn't he heavenly? I haven't been able to hold him yet. LB has only been able to hold him a handful of times.

So, what are we doing around here? Getting ready for Valentine's Day. There are about 2,000 Hello Kitty, Superman, etc. cards, pencils, heart stickers floating around our house. They're having some trouble understanding the concept of you take one to everyone in your class and you get to come home with one from everyone. They just feel like they are giving them all away. Ellie was sobbing yesterday as we were designating (sp?) a Valentine for each boy and girl in her class. She would decide on one for someone and then start crying because she really, really wanted that one for herself. Did I do that? I don't remember. But I do remember absolutely loving Valentine's Day and making a box to put the cards in. I still love Valentine's Day. I think the only time I really didn't care for it was when I was in college, living in a dorm, had no boyfriend, and saw flowers arrive at the front desk all day long. It felt like I was the only one on the entire campus without a Valentine.

One last thing before I go. There is an older man in our church who died on Friday night. We had been visiting him and his wife in his last days. This is the first time I had really been around someone who was so close to death. There is another older lady that we used to go to church with who is also on her death bed. Steven went to see her today and said she is not good. I think about John a few days into his life and about these two who were/are at the very end of theirs. I am somewhere in the middle--unless the Lord calls me home early. As we were waiting on John to arrive-not knowing when-these two families were waiting for the end-not knowing for sure either when that day would be. I just think of God's sovereignty and how He has ordained my life and my days. Amazing that the God of all creation thought out the exact time I was to be conceived and then born into this world and He knows exactly when I will leave it. Can't I trust Him with all that is in between?

"My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them."
Psalm 139:15-16

3 comments:

rhodes1 said...

Good Post, Sweetie. About John, about life and death and sovreignty of God - and so Ellie about the valentines. I smiled so. It's so her and I miss all of you. No - you didn't have that response - but that's just E.

Love, MOM

rhodes1 said...

E. commented off of Sarah's address. Sarah hasn't started calling you sweetie. MOM

Sarah said...

Glad he's here and on the mend. Praying that he gets to go home and nurses like he never knew any different. So happy you got to be there. I totally agree--such an honor to be witness to the amazing miracle of birth!