Friday, January 22, 2010

A Tea Party and Black Bean Chili

I used to kind of dread an entire day at home. Like not that long ago. But somewhere in the not-so-long-ago past, things have taken a turn and I really enjoy just being here for the day. I'm pretty positive it's because Ellie and Luke love to play together for hours. Maybe we're just going through a good phase or maybe it's because they are getting older and hopefully this will be more the norm and not the exception.

Today was one of those enjoyable days at home. I called mom and asked to borrow her camera. She came over and was here for awhile and most of that time we didn't even hear Ellie and Luke. They came down for a cookie break and when mom was leaving, Ellie said "Let's go have a tea party, Luke". He immediately hopped off the couch (after I wiped off his chocolate covered face and hands) and said, "yeah, let's go have a tea party". I grabbed the camera and Andrew and followed them.



Look at Luke's eyes in the last picture. He has been sick with another cold/cough. He was just sitting there in a daze listening to Ellie give instructions to her dolls. He came alive a little bit when Andrew came after Buzz. Then I told him it was time for a nap and he didn't argue at all.

Ellie, Andrew, and I headed downstairs while Luke napped. I spent way too much time looking at sewing blogs and etsy. (There are A LOT of creative people out there) Then I decided I should probably get up and start dinner. I am happy to report we had another healthy hit. Spicy Black Bean Chili (except ours wasn't that spicy). And I also added some ground turkey. I was afraid Steven would look at it and ask where the meat was.

I chopped a green bell pepper, half an onion, and 2 garlic cloves. I cooked these with 1 lb. ground turkey and some olive oil. It said to use cumin seeds. But I had ground cumin, so I used this instead. Probably about a teaspoon.

Then I stirred in 2 cans of rinsed and drained black beans, one can undrained diced tomatoes, 2 cups of water, 1 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. paprika, a dash of red pepper (more if you like), 1/2 tsp. oregano, salt and pepper. Taste and see if you need to add anything. My measurements are not exact. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes.

Very.
Yummy.
The recipe says you can top with green onions and cilantro. I served mine over rice and with a dab of sour cream mixed in.

Here's my little, um...helper? in the kitchen.

Remember the temper I was telling you about?

So, I'm thinking it's time for some locks on a few of the cabinets. Don't you think? I turned my back for a second and he was playing in the Comet (with bleach). And being the responsible mom that I am, I grabbed the camera to snap some pictures before taking it away. (Please don't call social services, I made sure he did not put his hands near his mouth.)



And finally, the reason I had mom bring the camera over.

My sewing classes! Did you forget? Here is the pattern. Well, I guess this is the package that holds the pattern. I'm pretty sure it has a name, but I got slightly overwhelmed with all the sewing terms. We are making a basic pair of elastic pants.

I know, I know. I cut out a piece of fabric. Big deal, right? Yes. It is a big deal. I have high hopes for this sewing thing.

Ellie does too...

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love the post! Ummmm, Laura Beth still doesn't have one yet - You don't suppose she's in labor and delivery do you and forgot to call?

I like all the pix. Even though I saw them in person - I like to read about it. :-) MOM

Mary Ann said...

Oh, Ann, what a great post. I love the pictures of the children. Makes me want to see them in person so badly.

The chili looks and sounds so good. I've never cooked with ground turkey but I may just buy some and make this chili. I know ground turkey has so much less fat, but I just always go with ground chuck or round.

Have a good day. Love y'all.

Amy said...

I love the tea party! We had a lot of those at our house growing up (but without the boys ;-). It's great that they play together like that!

joy said...

Love the pictures these are the days of our lives!