Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Welcome, Andrew!












Just wanted to post some pics and let everyone know we're doing really well! God is gracious and gave me a very fast labor and delivery and a healthy (small) baby boy! I had heard of these kinds of labors, but didn't know if I would ever experience one. They started pitocin right at 6 a.m. and by about 10 or so I was really feeling the contractions and they were coming about every 3 min. So I received a wonderful epidural and it was perfect timing, because mom, dad, Ellie, Luke, and Laura Beth arrived shortly after that. They checked me and I was dilated to 5 cm., so I told everyone to go grab some lunch and I would try to rest. Not long after they were gone, I started feeling quite a bit of pressure with each contraction. The nurse checked me and I was at almost an 8. I called Steven and told them to hurry. About 10 min. later I could tell the pressure was getting even more intense. The nurse checked me again and sure enough, I was fully dilated. I called Steven and told them to get back fast!! They got back just as the doctor was coming in. I pushed through the first contraction and his head came out, and then by the end of the second contraction he was here!! He was born at 11:55 a.m., weighed 7 lbs. 2 oz. and was 19 in. long. I could hardly believe it. It happened so fast-so completely different than my other experiences. Not to mention so much smaller! Andrew is doing wonderfully. He's an excellent breastfeeder. Has a very strong suck-ouch!
We're hanging out in the hospital until tomorrow. I'm definitely ready to be home, but know that it's a good idea to stay here and get as much rest as I can before I hit the road running with three!! Ellie is loving it-I think she feels very old. Luke isn't super interested-when he's at the hospital, he's usually ready to move on to the next thing after about 30 min. I don't know what the next few weeks will hold, so if you don't hear from me for awhile, you know why!

9 comments:

Hollen said...

Oh Ann! He is just precious! How cool! Another cousin! :)
Hollen

Sarah said...

Congratulations! So glad it went well (and fast!). I'll forgive you if you don't post much for the next few months. You'll be busy, Mama! So happy for you!

The Morrisons said...

Congrats! Yes, so fast-sounds a lot like my last labor and delivery-isn't it great? He is precious. Hope the next few weeks go well.

Stephanie said...

I can't believe how well that labor/delivery went! I have heard that induction can take longer, and I know from my own experience that it did for me! I am sooo thrilled it went so wonderfully for you! We love you so much and think your family is just the greatest!! Little Andrew is just adorable! I am praying for a smooth transition at home. Sending all our love, Steph, Erik, Hollen, and Jon Jon :)

nurseheather said...

hey ann - thanks so much for posting. sweet baby andrew looks adorable and your other two look smitten. i'm so happy to hear you had a good delivery and holy smokes - two pushes. great job. and your right - you did have a small baby. i can' wait to hear about life with 3.

ashley said...

Ann Rhodes! Oh my! Somehow I have stumbled along your blog. It is wonderful to see you and your family doing so well. Congratulations on the new baby.

Ashley Avery

Vanessa said...

Ann,so glad all went well. Andrew is perfect! I had a dream about you Monday night. I guess because I had read your blog that you were to be induced that day. You had the baby and were already home with him that day. For some reason, you left Stephen, Luke and Ellie at the hospital. I remember thinking that I couldn't believe how soon the doctors let you come home and how you didn't look like you'd even had a baby!! Random dream!! Anyway, glad you guys are doing well and that baby Andrew is here! Take care!

Lindsey said...

congrats on your precious baby!! andrew looks so handsome and i'm glad you had an easy labor.

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything sounds so wonderful, I am so happy it all went and is going well!!! I look forward to catching up when we can!!! I love you!!! God bless the Barbers!!!

~R