Monday, January 26, 2009

One more week

So, I promised a pregnancy update after my appointment last week, but honestly, there wasn't much to tell. I was still only dilated 1 cm. I had an ultrasound which had Andrew weighing in at right around 7 lbs. It leaves me pretty confused about fetal weight measurement. I've heard and read several different things. Luke's weight was estimated at about 7 1/2 lbs. (I think around 37 weeks-can't remember for sure). Now I wish I knew exactly because I could figure out how much weight he gained the last few weeks. (9 lbs. 1 oz. when he was born-40 weeks and 2 days) Anyway, I hear and read different things from different doctors. So, are they way off or do some babies just gain a lot more in the last few weeks? Probably both.

Today I had another doctor's appt. And in keeping with my previous dilating experiences, no further dilation. I always do this-get very frustrated-but at who or what? I give Ellie and Luke baths, lift them in and out of the tub, pick them up even (when it is absolutely necessary), cook dinner on my feet, climb up and down the stairs, bend over to pick up dirty laundry, vacuum, etc., all the while having contractions. And nothing!!??? I laughed last time when the doctor said, maybe you should try walking around the mall or something, to see if you can get some contractions going.


Anyway, enough complaining, I am actually not as frustrated as I sound. He has penciled me in to induce me on Mon. (Feb. 2). I go back on Thurs. to see if I am dilated any further. (I feel it might be a little unnecessary). If I am not, then I will go in on Sunday night to have Cervadil put on and then will get started with the Pitocin on Mon. morning. That is the plan. My birthday is actually on Sunday. And I think my sister (LB) will be coming in that day. We've talked about her going with me to the hospital that night and Steven could stay with Ellie and Luke. So, maybe we could even leave early-grab some dinner, possibly even see a movie and then head over to the hospital to get started having a baby. Sounds like a good birthday to me!


No, really, in all seriousness, I realize that the Lord has long ago known the exact day, hour, and minute that Andrew will (Lord-willing) be born into this world. Because I firmly believe his life began at the moment of conception. "...And in your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." Psalm 139:16 I can't wait to see him and experience that newnesss of life and find out who is this little person that God has been growing and forming. And to smell that newborn smell and hear all those little sounds. There's nothing like it!


Here is his little "corner" that we have ready for him to come home to. May the Lord bring him safely here!



6 comments:

Amanda said...

Hang in there! He will be here before you know it. Can't wait to see pictures.

The Morrisons said...

Praying for a safe delivery! I can't believe it is already here-but then again I am not the one pregnant :) Can't wait to see some pictures. I was induced with both my boys. I totally understand that feeling of-is this the right decision. Bottom line, induction or not, you are right: God has long ago determined this little boy's birthday.

Sarah said...

Ann, Hang in there! The end is soon! From what I've read, fetal weight measurements are *estimates.* According to WebMD, "Ultrasound is estimated to predict within 8-15% of true birth weight." (Even the 8-15% is an estimate!)

Also, my birth instructor wrote about the topic of checking dilation in pregnancy. It may encourage you to know that it doesn't mean much either way--dilated or not! Here's the link if you want some encouragement! http://banned-from-baby-showers.blogspot.com/2008/10/vaginal-exams-in-pregnancy.html

Excited to hear about his arrival (and praying for a good delivery:) !

nurseheather said...

Oh i'm sorry to hear - but your right! The Lord knows the exact min. your precious baby boy will enter into this world. Hang on my friend. we are all praying for you.

Donna Ryan said...

I am the "birth instructor" Sarah referred to. Saw that you read a bit on my blog. There's a lot of info on there that might be helpful. Good luck. Why the induction, exactly?

Unknown said...

I love you sweetie! It's amazing how the time has flown and I feel like I have been too busy to fuss over you like a good friend should have! :( I am so happy for you and wish I was there! God has blessed and expanded your family, how fun it is to "see" it happening! Best of wishes for EVERYTHING and for WHATEVER way Andrew enters the world! I think your plan sounds fun, hehe! Andrew is my brother's name btw :) yours truly, ~R