Monday, August 4, 2008

Time Out

No, the title of my post does not have to do with my insanely long blog break. It actually has to do with a funny story about Ellie and Luke that has forced me to make a blog post. I will tell you this story and then give a quick update on our crazy life. So today I was at my mom's house (which is where we spend much of our time these days). I was sitting in the kitchen finishing up my lunch and I heard her bedroom door slam and then I could hear Luke crying. I went in to find him sitting on the time out stool, crying. I asked him "Are you in time out?" He nodded, pathetically. "Did Ellie put you in time out?" Again, he nodded. I, of course, got him up, and went to find Ellie. When I asked her why she put him in time out, she said "He was crying and I hit him." I'm really not sure if she got that backwards, but I told her if she hit him, she was the one who needed to be in time out. Oh, they keep me laughing...always!

So things are pretty crazy for us right now, as we are scheduled to close on our house a week from today. We are praying that they (the powers that be that will decide if our house is done enough) will show us mercy and let us close without a few things (a garage door, mirrors in the bathroom, closet shelving). We are so, so close, yet it feels like so far away. I feel as though I have checked out here in the rental house. Like, I am trying to get away with Lysol wipe cleaning rather than any deep cleaning. Also, we are about to move into our new church building. Well, really it is an older building that we (not me so much) but lots of the men in our church have remodeled. I am kind of trying to put together the nursery. I didn't realize how much "stuff" nurseries require. I just thought it needed some toys. But it's a lot more. Table, chairs, storage, crib, rocker. So, everything is kind of coming together at once, which makes for an exciting, but crazy time.

As for baby news, things are moving right along. I had my first doctor's appt. last week and saw the little "peach" (he or she is about that size) just kicking around. Praise the Lord that everything looks good so far! Ellie is well and excited to start gymnastics class tomorrow. Sometime I will have to write an entire post on Ellie's "phases". She is an extreme phase child and goes through these funny obsessions. Right now (which it has been for awhile) is her "Cinderella panties" phase. She wants to wear them every single day. And on certain days, especially if she is tired, will sob if I insist we need to wash them. She is actually pretty obsessed with panties in general and Cinderella for that matter. I think the marketing world has caught onto that, because until I had a three year old little girl, I did not realize how many products they make with Cinderella on it. You name it, they make it-Cinderella gummies, graham crackers, band-aids, bubble bath, etc. Luke is doing anything and everything Ellie does. I let him wear head band and carry purses (only around the house). But have to put my foot down when he wants to have his nails painted like Ellie.

So, as hectic as life is right now, I often have these moments that I feel so truly blessed by how good God has been to me. I was in the car on the way home from my parents house tonight with Ellie and Luke and we were looking for the moon and finally spotted it. Ellie immediately started singing a song that my mom has taught her ("wee baby moon") and Luke joined in. There is no way to describe how cute it is when they sing at the top of their lungs. But it makes my heart melt and I was just thinking how thankful I am that it is now and they are in the car with me and they are excited to see the moon. Because I know that I will blink and they will not be interested in the moon, much less interested in singing a song about it. Or there will be a day when they are not in the car with me at all. Thank you, Lord for all the times I have to referee fights from the driver's seat or pass food back or try to reach a dropped toy.

I hope I still have a few who check my blog. Please don't give up hope on me, I think this is just a phase. Hopefully this won't be the last blog this week, but based on my record these past few months, I wouldn't hold your breath.

10 comments:

LB said...

Oh how I love the time out story. Awww, Lukie. I also love that Ellie wants to wear her Cinderella panties everyday. Ha, ha. I am sure that creates some interesting battles. You should post pictures of the house if you get a chance.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Don't feel too pressured to update the blog! By all means: 1 God, 2 Family, 3 Blog...right? How exciting that you are heading down the home stretch w/ the house. I can't wait to see it! Maybe when you get all moved in, we can have a giant girls' night in Scottsboro =).

And...exciting about the church move, too! Wish we had a building!!!

Amy said...

Ann--still reading! Your stories always make me smile. Thanks for the update.

nurseheather said...

hey girl - no worries, i check back and will continue to check in. i laughed about the whole "panties" thing. oh how we love panties around our house. we have daytime panties, nighttime panties, naptime panties... cinderella panties, pony panties, dora panties, etc... now paloma is wearing them over her diaper because we are potty training. i didn't even say the word panties until i had girls. and the cinderella thing. we know how you feel - i personally favor cinderella above all the other princesses for many reasons and so cinderella is pretty much the only princess in our house - we have cinderella chair, cinderella tea set, cinderella makeup etc... could be worse huh? awesome baby news. keep cooking - i bet you are anxiously awaiting the cool down of fall? take care

Esther Bratton said...

Loved the update and don't worry about it's long time comming. I don't even have children and my days have been too filled to update in several weeks. Look foward to seeing you at the BIBLE study/dinner!

Josh and Lisa said...

I can't believe how big your kids are getting....that's crazy. Funny "time out" story, thanks for sharing! Hope ya'll are doing well!

Melissa said...

Ann~ I got all teary eyed reading the last part of your post. It was very encouraging as I am getting into the whole discipline phase with Ella now and tend to get frustrated easier. Thank you for reminding me to be "thankful" even in the not-so-fun times of parenting! :-) Before we know it they will be all grown up!!! Glad to hear the house is coming along. Can't wait to see pictures when you get all moved in~

The Morrisons said...

Love the stories and the house!! Beautiful. I am keeping notes for my next house; you gave me great ideas. Micah tends to obsess too. His is numbers right now. Glad to know it's normal (maybe not so much numbers, but the obsessions :) And Owen definitely tries to imitate. He "counts" all the time to be like big bro.

Unknown said...

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a while! :) LOL I think it is REALLY funny that Luke actually listened to Ellie and went to time out! Or maybe he did it becasue she hit him....hmmm...LOL Still, thanks so much for posting! AND i am still reading! :)
Hollen

Josh and Lisa said...

Hey!
Your house looks really good. Meg said you were having trouble finding our blog...here is the address-
http://www.joshhayden.blogspot.com/
Hope this helps!