Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Few Things...

Warning...I am going to jump around on this post from subject to subject. Does that happen to anyone else? There are several different things you would like to say, all on different subjects? So that leaves me with no good title for my post. Anyway, we are about to move into the new house. Finally!! Friday is the big day. Although I have been working on getting my kitchen moved all week a little at a time. I'm not sure how it's all going to work with sleeping arrangements and everything. Like, if we will actually sleep there Friday night or move the beds on Sat. We'll see. Hopefully I will remember in the chaos to take some moving in pictures.

Ellie has had a good first 2 weeks back at preschool. She is pretty tired, but seems to be handling it better than last year. Luke seems a little lost without her. One day last week he was just lying on the floor. I said "Luke, are you tired? Do you want to get up and play something or do you just wanna lie there for awhile?" He answered that he just wanted to lie for awhile. He is usually pretty excited when it is time to go get her in the afternoon and then shortly after they say hello to each other and hug(sometimes), the fighting begins. It's like he doesn't know what to do without having her around to give him a hard time.

Ellie seems to be learning more this year, or at least she is telling me more about it. Several new songs, and today she was pretending to read and I heard her say "I pledge allegiance to the kitties". Now, this is opening up an entirely new subject that I have yet to blog about, but I will just say that I have felt a conviction in the past six months or so (still praying about all the details) for my children to have a Christian education. And since there are no Christian schools here in this small town, it seems to be more of a conviction to homeschool. I will post more on this later, but I will say that I have never been someone that thought I would homeschool my children. I still selfishly do battles in my heart and head over it, but since I have heard Ellie singing to me all these new songs and repeating all the new things she is learning, it has been confirmed once more. She (children) are a sponge! And their minds are being shaped everyday. I just don't feel comfortable letting a government school system take over that responsibility. Not that there are not Godly teachers in the public school system and Praise God for them. I have been reading Voddie Baucham's book "Family Driven Faith" and he says this much better than I can.

"I applaud men and women whom God has called to teach in government schools. These people are front-line warriors, and they need to be right where they are. However, there is a big difference between sending fully trained disciples into enemy territory and sending recruits to our enemy's training camp. If we do the latter, we shouldn't be surprised when they come home wearing the enemy's uniform and charging the hill of our home while waving an enemy flag."

So, basically all I'm saying is Ellie is picking up what they are teaching her and it confirms in my heart that (for now) she is not a fully trained disciple. And she will learn whatever she is taught. Please don't think that I trying to push my convictions. I just want to share where God has us right now and how He continues to confirm this in my heart.

Okay, on to a little something about Oprah. I watch her every now and then, like if it's a good informational show. But most of the time it makes me so frustrated and saddened at the same time. The things she says are so off. She does some wonderful things, for sure, and physically helps so many people. But at the same time, she is leading so many people down a road that will in the end lead to death. What scares me too, while she is talking about things like "You have to find your calling, and I firmly believe people are put on this Earth to do good and figure out what that is" is the way the people in the audience are looking at her. They are hanging on every word she says. Today she had a man on the show who had left his million dollar job to start schools for children all over the world. (Again, this is not a bad thing in and of itself) They were both discussing how education is the key to ending poverty. And she is clear how strongly she feels about that. She made this statement: "Education is the food that will fill them forever". Jesus says in John 4 "Everyone who drinks of this water shall thirst again but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life." It's scary what a following she has. I do not pretend to know what Satan is up to. But I do know that Scripture says this: "Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." 1 Pet. 5:8, "...for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light." 2 Cor. 11:14. It also talks about in 1 John 2, how there is one Antichrist that is coming, but many antichrists have arisen. I pray believers will have discernment about her and the things she claims!

10 comments:

Mark, Jordan, Spencer and Crosby said...

Ann! How are you? Congratulations on the new house! I looked at the pictures that your mother had posted on her blog...absolutely gorgeous.

I have felt the same way about Oprah for quite awhile, and you were able to put scripture to what my heart has been feeling. Always so refreshing...thank you.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Ann, great thoughts all, and it is awesome to know that you are thinking and praying about the decisions regarding your children's education. Most don't even think twice.

As for Oprah, you are right on. Many Christian women have fallen into the trap of thinking she is actually a Christian! That is how deceiving she really is! We have to be on our guard and truly filter everything we see and hear through the Word of God. Why, oh why, does no one do that anymore?

So nice and refreshing to read about someone who is doing a little "thinking!"

Good luck w/ the move!

Lele said...

oh ann! it's so good to read your blog! i've missed reading!

I like the way you think!

Good luck moving into your house this weekend! Since you're not so far away, I want to come visit sometime after you guys get settled in!

i miss you!

Unknown said...

Hey Sis!! :) Thanks for your post. I am blessed and honored to read it. I will pray for your continued wisdom regarding homeschooling. You know my heart on that, and as challenging as it has been with no Christian schools in our town either, it is SO rewarding! I love you and can't wait to see pics of your house when you get moved in. I will be praying for you this weekend that you will have a good weekend full of strength (physical) and excitement at what God is doing. Love, Steph

Esther Bratton said...

So excited about your house. I want to tell you my very selfish thought... I have been having an inner debate about homeschooling kids since about junior year of college, and I DON'T EVEN HAVE ANY!!! Silly I know. Yet there is a big part of me that hopes you will choose that path because I don't want to be alone. I hope to have children in the next few years if God allows it and I'd love to know that some one else is choosing the path I'd like to take. So I've confessed, now you know how selfish I am. But I'll be praying for you in this process as I'm sure it will be a lot to handle. Look foward to seeing you tonight.

Unknown said...

Hi Ann! :) That is really, really neat that you are thinking about homeschooling!!! :) Sometimes for me it's like....ughhhh I wouls SO rather be with PEOPLE!!!!". (because my school is on DVD and I do it in a room by myself). BUT that is on bad days! Like, all the time it is SO awesome and rewarding...like my mom said! Like, Sunday night I am going to a friends house for her birthday sleepover...something that if I were going to school I would totally never be able to do! And I think that it is more important to me to get a good, Christian education than to be with people, yes, but to have to go to public school and risk me not being as strong in my faith as I though...ooh, that is a scary thought! It is definately worth while though! oh yea, and on Wed. I have piano practice in the middle of the day! And SO SO SO many other things too! :) Love ya!
Hollen

Mary Ann said...

Ann,
I have to say I am so glad you are considering homeschooling, but I will totally respect whatever you decide to do. I know you know so many people who homeschool, but I just want to "put in a plug" for Mary Claire Warlick as a good one to talk to. I don't think you would be able to go to the extent she and her friends have gone, but I'll surely bet she could give you some very wise advice.

Totally agree about Oprah.

CANNOT WAIT to see the house with all of y'all moved in. Do you think eventually Ellie will allow me to spend the night in "Nana's room"? (haha)

Love you!!

Ann said...

Thanks for all the encouragement about the house/move and homeschooling! I really appreciate it.

Mary Ann-Yes, of course, we can't wait for you to come stay in "nana's room"

Sarah said...

Ann, thanks for your comment. It really does rarely happen that a picture with children turns out well, doesn't it?

I know what you mean about Oprah. I really don't watch her show (almost ever--it's on at a very bad time for me usually--and perhaps thankfully!), but anytime I've caught her show, I come away with the same thoughts of grief for the things she believes and proports, and the fact that so many people listen to her. You are right to bring Scripture into this, as it is the only true argument to have against such "vain philosophies" (2 Cor). This humanistic idea that education is all that's needed presupposes that people are basically good, and once they're educated, good choices will follow. Boy does this nation in particular have so many examples to the contrary! (We should know better than to think that people steal because they are poor or hungry, when we see oppulent people behaving this way all around our great country! People sin because it's what's in their hearts--Ps. 14:1--unless God changes them.) Praise God for Grace!

Anyway, I appreciate a little thought-provoking blogging from you. Keep it up!

Sarah said...

Ann, Woops! I was going from memory (never a good thing when still suffering from pregnancy brain) and mistakenly thought 2 Cor. instead of Col. 2 (v. 8)

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of the world rather than on Christ."