Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Flushable" Wipes

I don't have much time as is often the case these days, thus the lack of posts. However, I do have a quick story which I think is extremely blogworthy.

I think half the families in town have lived in our rental house. So I have heard from a previous owner that there have been some plumbing issues in the past. I got to see exactly what they were talking about yesterday. The night before last when the dishwasher was running I could hear some gurgly noises coming from I'm not sure where. And then yesterday when I was in the shower the water wasn't draining so well. Now, on a normal basis this grosses me out, but when I am 7 weeks pregnant, it is taking everything in me not to throw up. And you know, when you're in a rental house, you first have to call the owner, then get in touch with a plumber. I thought I would try to get to it later, until I ran the washing machine. And then I started hearing gurgly noises coming up from the toilets. And only a few minutes after that, I could hear noises coming from Ellie and Luke's tub and the shower in the master bath. So I went in each one to find standing filthy water. I am gagging now just thinking about it. God is so good and my stomach was doing okay. If it had been Sunday (which was an extra sick day) I would have been over the toilet for sure (or the trash, because the toilet would have only gurgled everything back up). Are you grossed out yet?? Anyway I called the owner and then called Mr. Rooter. When he answered I almost cried and said "Please hurry my shower is about to run over with dirty water". I felt like it was a 911 call and I was talking with a paramedic. Anyway he was there in a hurry and to make a long story short, do you know what had stopped up the system? Flushable "Kandoo" wipes I had bought for Ellie. So, apparently, they aren't so flushable after all. Maybe for a brand new system, but obviously the old rental house plumbing just couldn't handle it. So, no more "flushable" wipes for us. Also, just FYI the plumber said that Scott bath tissue is the only thing you ever should put down your toilet. You better believe that I am taking that advice. Sure enough when I bought a package today, it said on the side "septic safe". My mom was sooo great yesterday. I called and told her there was no way I could go back in those bathrooms and clean everything up and she came over and scrubbed each bathroom from top to bottom. There is no clean like my mom's clean. I also washed sheets yesterday. So last night I went to bed with the smell of clean sheets and Pine-sol. There is no better smell to a pregnant stomach!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Ann-that sounds awful! It would be overwhelming enough without the morning sickness, for sure. Glad your mom was there to help. We've never had that kind of plumbing problem, but maybe I'll switch to Scott's just in case! :-)

Esther Bratton said...

Wow, you are amazing. I really don't know how you do it all. Way to Go Mrs. Rhodes! There is NOTHING like havig your mom when you need her. I can tell you know I would have been flipping out and some not so nice words would probably have been at the fore front of my mind. Anywho, I always leave way to long of comments...I am a rambler by nature. See ya tonight

LB said...

Amen to no clean like mom's clean. The cleanest my apartment ever was was when I arrived home from the hospital with three day old Ada. Glad all of that is over!!

Unknown said...

Oh Ann! I am so sorry that happened..sounds pretty gross but I am glad that everything is fixed now! :) Enjoyed being with you all so much!
Hollen

Anna A said...

Ann - I found your blog through a post on Ruth's blog. So good to see your face and those of the children. You all look great! Congrats on baby #3! So excited for you all. I don't have a blog but you can e-mail me at adkinshome1@netzero.net. We are doing well. Going to go see Kendra and Rick in August. Lots of love, Anna Adkins

Anonymous said...

Hey Ann, I'm so sorry all of that happened. You are so right, your mom IS wonderful. I have to tell my girls not to use the flushable wipes. I'm excited for you to be having another sweet baby!
much love,
Jean