Saturday, September 18, 2010

Back From the Beach

And...

The beach was, um, maybe definitely the most exhausting beach trip I have ever been on.  On our way out of town, we stopped for dinner and Laura Beth asked me if it was worth it.  I said, after a pause, "Yes, the kids had a blast."  I'm probably making it worse than it was.  Nothing bad happened and I can't even really put my finger on why it was so much work, it just was.  Pretty much five children five and under is what did it.  I really am grateful for the time spent with family and the opportunity to be on an incredibly peaceful, gorgeous beach.  But I was ready to be home again. 

My sweet Luke turned four years old. 


I wasn't able to say a "blog Happy Birthday" to him on his birthday.  But I certainly don't want to let the four year mark pass by without saying what an incredible blessing this boy is to me.  Sensitive, honest, kind-hearted, cautious, encouraging.  He loves his mama, but he really loves his Daddy. He loves all things boys, right now it is superheroes and cowboys. He has such endearing qualities.  You can't not love him. I pray as I do for all my children that he will grow into a Godly man, actually a boy.  That he would know Christ at a young age and seek Him and walk with Him all of his days.  To know the love that surpasses knowledge.  And that in Christ, his weaknesses would be strengths.

We celebrated on our first day at the beach and Ada, Luke, and Ellie woke up at about 6:00 as if it were Christmas morning.  It has gotten a bit out of hand on birthdays for all the siblings and cousins to receive a gift as well.  I knew we needed to cut back when Ellie was excited about her My Little Pony card, that said "it is good to be the birthday girl". 

We even got Andrew started early with a Thomas train.  No wonder they felt like it was Christmas morning. 
The highlight gift was definitely Woody.  He has not really left Luke's side since this moment. 
The batman and superman capes were a close second, although Andrew took to them as well and here he is modeling it for me.
We enjoyed being with Ada as she experienced the beach for the first time.  Well, John too, but he wasn't such a fan.  Ada had no fear and took to it immediately.  So it worked out well that the water was exceptionally calm. 
Andrew was so faithful to keep his sunglasses on the entire time we were on the beach.  And of course, faithful with his paci.
The beach weather really could not have been more perfect. 

It was also fun to come back to the fall.  Yesterday was the parade and so begins the "candy season".  After this will be Halloween, then Christmas, then Easter. 

In other news, Ellie thoroughly enjoyed her first ballet class.  And I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
Andrew enjoyed watching too, and when the teacher said, "jump!" he gave it his best shot.

Hope you're enjoying a beautiful fall Saturday.  We are.  Pulling for Steven's bulldogs as they do their best to hang in the game.  And of course, later, I will do my best to cheer on Auburn from our little corner of the South.  No visits to Auburn this season :( and this may be the first season that Steven hasn't gone to Athens to watch a game.  Things are certainly different than they used to be.  But that is okay, seasons of life come, and they go.  I will enjoy each.  And next weekend, I will travel to Birmingham to be with college girlfriends.  To say I am looking forward to it would be a huge understatement.  It will be such fun to step back into that season.  I am in the process of developing a small team of people to run things while I am gone.  Haha...that is what it feels like anyway. :)

1 comment:

Hollen said...

I loved this post!! :) The beach pictures are so great...looks like a beautiful place! :) And Ellie's ballet class...oh my! That was adorable! Miss you guys!