Friday, September 24, 2010

The 210 Dollar Rash

A few days before we left for the beach Luke got a rash under his arm.  It quickly spread down his side, like over his ribcage.  Little spots that turned into little sores.  Weird.  We took him in the day before we left so we wouldn't be dealing with that at the beach.  The doctor thought it was bacterial.  $80 for oral antibiotic and anti-fungal cream in case it wasn't bacterial, $25 for the doctor's visit.  Healed quickly.  Then we got back from the beach and there was Ellie's rash.  Same place, opposite side of her body.  Again, weird.  Great, we still have the antibiotics, though.  The ointment was not taking care of it and the rash didn't seem to be responding as quickly to the oral antibiotic.  Responding, just not as quickly.  So we call the doctor to see if they could just call some more antibiotics in.  Nope.  $25 for another visit.  And a different antibiotic that was $80.  The doctor we saw (not our regular pediatrician) also wrote us a prescription for an antibiotic ointment.  She said, "I went ahead and wrote it for the larger size, it's just good to have around the house.  It will take care of any itching."  I was thinking, sorry, Ellie, you will have to survive a little itching.  So, $210 later we are almost rash free.

Just when you think are getting a handle on the money situation.  Sigh.

One more thing.  I spent a chunk of yesterday washing the sheets on our king size bed.  Including the mattress pad.  Last night at about 11:00, I was putting them all back on.  Just now as I was about to hit publish post, Ellie climbed on the bed and said, "Gross!"  I had been putting off changing a dirty diaper so I could finish this blogpost.  And when she said that, my heart sunk.  Andrew had climbed off the bed and left some of the contents of his diaper on the sheets, and also soaking through to the gigantic mattress pad.  Here we go again...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, Ann! I love that sheet story! Isn't that the way it works? I remember when Claire was teething and threw up every time she cut a new tooth, I had just washed her sheets (which I did on their beds no more than once a month) and I had put her new sheets on and not a minute later, she threw up all over them.

Bummer for you, but I love the real life story! Keep it coming!

(Oh, and did you figure out what the rash was and what caused it?)

LB said...

oh the budgeting, never ending. I just looked at John's EEG bill--350.00. And probably to tell us that nothing is wrong with him. And the sheets. So frustrating!!