Thursday, July 22, 2010

I'm Back

I'm back from my trip with a lot to say.  And at the same time, I don't even know what to say.  The trip was hard and great all at the same time.  The funeral was maybe the saddest thing I have ever experienced, although so incredibly hopeful and joyful.  I cannot imagine burying my five year old, and of course I kept putting myself in Rick and Kendra's shoes and the grief was overwhelming.  The grief for them was overwhelming, more than I have ever experienced.  Rick and Kendra were pillars of God's grace and the funeral service was beautiful...a clear, dynamic presentation of the gospel and a greater grasp (at least for me) of how temporary this life is.  Kendra told me when she was finally able to say "Lord, not your will, but mine"  she experienced surrender like she has never known and grace along with it. 

The rest of the trip was a treat for Steven and me.  We realized once we were on the road, that after the funeral we would only be about 3 hours from Chicago (turned about to be more like 4 1/2).  But Steven and I both agreed we are glad we hadn't known or we might not have done it.  And it was a blast.  It was just a night, but such a cool city, and great memories. 

Ellie, Luke, and Andrew did great (or so I'm told).  Those little stinkers got in an unexpected beach trip and loved it.  I was at my mom's house when they pulled in the driveway and was just about giddy to see them.  My heart was beyond grateful that night to have everyone tucked safely in their beds.  Steven and I figured out that I was the furthest distance away from them that I had ever been.  

Alright, don't leave me yet...I have one more thing to tell you that I think you will want to hear.  I have no cute or clever way to say it, so here it is...I'm pregnant.  Again.  With our fourth child.  Fourth!!  It's crazy for me to even type it or say it.  We are excited, nervous, and very grateful.  And no, it doesn't come as a complete shock.  I know you might be wondering, so I won't leave it a mystery.  I have been in turmoil over it for some time.  So we decided to leave it up to the Lord and if it happened, it happened.  And it happened!  We have already gotten some of the birth control jokes.  Yes, we "know how this happens."  And we are humbled and blessed that God has seen fit to entrust us with another life.  Nervous, but thrilled. 

Ellie is ecstatic over the new baby that is growing, Luke seems fairly excited, and Andrew couldn't care less.  Ellie is calling the baby "her little sister" left and right.  I warn her that it could be a boy.  She says that will be fine and then in the next sentence she refers to what she and her little sister will one day do together.  After I told Luke I was pregnant, I went inside for something, when I came back out, he asked if I had had the baby. 

So here are our three stinkers, or as we like to call them, our "eternal investments" at the beach, Lord-willing to be joined by one more in April.

18 comments:

Laura Forman said...

well, you made my mouth drop with that last little bit of news...yay!! i am so excited for you guys! :) i love how you just slipped it in at the end of the post, no one expecting it :) i can not wait to visit with you guys when we get home...we will just have to meet at your moms and let the kids play and play and we will probably talk and talk forever! :) love you!!

Sarah said...

Okay, Ann. . . first of all, CONGRATULATIONS! As one who was more than a little nervous with the news of a fourth pregnancy, on this side of it, I can say am SO HAPPY FOR YOU! You are so right that this baby is a gift God is entrusting to you.

Now, humor me when I say that perhaps this announcement needs a post all its own. I was totally NOT expecting that to be the kind of news that's tagged on to the end of a post. Hope some of your readers don't miss the HUGE and WONDERFUL news!

So happy for you! Can't wait to hear more!

LB said...

well, looking at those pictures and thinking about eternal investments, I have tears in my eyes. I am just so thrilled that another little life is being formed. What could be better? I have already been praying for the newest cousin.

I love that Luke thought you went in and had the baby. HILARIOUS.

Laura Beth said...

Wow! Wasn't expecting that to sneak in at the end of that post! Congratulations!!! :)

The Slagleys said...

Congratulations Ann! That is so exciting! I have heard the "Don't you know how this happens?" jokes with 2, so I imagine you hear much more! What a blessing.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Yippee! Another baby! Thrilled for you guys - and, glad to have another friend along for the ride...I'm a little ahead of you, but that's okay. Once pregnant, it's all the same :-)

Amy said...

Congrats Ann and Steve!

Hollen said...

CUTE pictures of the kids at the beach! AND YAY!!!! We are so happy for you!!! :)

Esther Bratton said...

Can't tell you how excited Ben and I are about it. I told him right after you texted me and you should have seen his grin!!! Charlotte is going to have another best bud!!!! Thinking about you tons and praying for a sick free pregnancy :)

Snippets of My World said...

Congrats Ann!! So excited for you and Stephen!

Snippets of My World said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

WHOHOO!!! WE ARE EXCITED BEYOND WORDS!!! I can't believe I get to be an aunt again!! :) We love you so much and are praying for this new little bundle! We are praying for you and the rest of the family as well!! God is so good and we are so blessed by all of you!! Love, Steph & Erik!

Brittany said...

CONGRATS on baby #4!! so exciting! So thankful for the blog world to keep up with exciting news like this! Glad you have a sweet trip with Steven as well. Sorry about your friend- glad they know the Lord.

Susan said...

Ann! Congrats! How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...congratulations!!! How exciting for you! I hope your pregnancy goes well...keep us posted!!!

Rachel said...

Congratulations!! This is so exciting. I am thrilled for you!

shannon said...

I read about #4 on LB's blog. Congrats! I think Andrew & Tripp are about the same age and it makes me wonder if we should consider #2 - & then I start hyperventilating! :-)

Vanessa said...

Congratulations, Ann!