Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Not Supermom!

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I posted. I realized this (aside from the date at the top of my last post) because Andrew is 4 months today. I don't have any pictures because that takes extra time and that is something I just don't have much of right now. I feel like I am always saying something about that, (my lack of free time), and really it isn't a complaint, it's just the truth. Having three is so insanely time consuming!

Sometimes I read other blogs or hear of moms doing these super creative things with their kids or doing elaborate projects or things to their house and I have to say it confuses me a little. WHEN do they do all this and is something else sacrificing for it? On Thurs. last week I took all three to the grocery store for the first time and I have to say it went pretty well. I didn't have an extremely long list, but it was enough to take a little while. God was gracious and we left without a peep from Andrew. Ellie and Luke hung in there and with just one argument over who would open the door to get the milk out, we made it out without any major meltdowns. Anyway, that was beside the point. I wanted to bake a cake. Sounds simple enough, right? So I got home and got Andrew down, but he was struggling to fall asleep so that means back and forth to put his paci in. Ellie had several issues upstairs (bathroom). So, back and forth up the stairs. I spilt some buttermilk all over the floor. Clean that up. Switch some laundry(so we'll have some clothes to wear). And a few hours later, the cake was in the oven. Now it's almost time to start on dinner.

So, what I'm saying is, to go to the store and bake a cake is a lot for one day. And by just doing that, there are some other things that get sacrificed. I don't get a shower. Laundry is backed up (I usually need to do several loads a day to keep from getting really backed up). Dishes aren't cleaned up from lunch. So, how do "supermoms" do it? Coupon, homeschool, smock dresses for their little girls???? Oh, and the most important responsibility (which I often forget is #1 priority) to train our children -Prov. 22:6-not just meet their basic needs. It's a lot to fit in one day, as in, it can't all be done. And that is okay, we just have to pick and choose-what will be our priorities on this day?

So yesterday (Steven's day off-we often try to do something differnet and fun as a family on Mondays) we took a visit to our brand new movie theater here in town to see the new Pixar movie Up. Mom kept Andrew and we took Ellie and Luke. It was so cute!!! Funny for adults and children. It was 3D (which they charged $2 extra for!), but I really did enjoy the 3D part. Ellie and Luke got tired of wearing the glasses after awhile. But I wish I had a picture of Luke. He was so funny sitting on the seat, because he didn't weigh enough to hold it down, so his feet were sticking up in the air and he had those huge glasses on and was eating popcorn. It was so funny. They loved it and so did we. I highly recommend it!

I hate to say it, but until next month...

10 comments:

Susan said...

Ann! I was just wondering how you are doing!
Lady, I just have one and I sometimes wonder the same thing! Seems like you're keeping the first things first, though!

nurseheather said...

oh ann. hang in there. i know life seems chaotic and crazy - but it gets so much easier as they age. or last least i can say that from having only 2. life is getting so much better for me. less and less stressful. i'm getting my devotion done, sun. school planned weekly, showers in, etc which was something that came as a treat before. i have realized that right now i just sacrifice sleep. i just don't get much of it. i get workouts in before they wake up and cleaning, painting, laundry etc after they go to bed. oh, and i'm making sure to make tiem for david which has been lacking lately. you'll get a routine and then you'll look back and laugh. but i will admit, baking a cake seems overwhelming to me. and for grocery shopping - well, i cheat and sometimes go to fred meyer where they have a playland. don't tell anyone my dirty secret - ha!

nurseheather said...

forgot to mention those smocked dresses - what a joke. no way does this mama sew - in fact i've set aside a pile of buttons to be sewed on my clothes when my mom comes next week. hoping she'll do them for me. crazy i know

LB said...

I laughed out loud at the image of Luke in the movie theater chair. Hilarious. And I love that they fought over who would open the door for the milk. Sometimes Ada gets so worked up over the smallest things, and I am thinking, "really, this is the battle you are choosing?"

The Morrisons said...

Amen! I can hardly check my e-mail and blogs before the kids are up again. I know it will come one day. Today, I give up my wants and desires(showers, scrapbooks, elaborate cooking) and just do the best I can (short of the mark every time). I often wonder why on earth God would think me fit for another one (I am newly pregnant with #3). Owen hadn't even had breakfast at 10 this morning:) I can't even keep the ones I have fed.

Sarah said...

Ann, I hope you know that your realness and expression of struggle is so encouraging to other moms in similar situations. Sometimes, what we need most is to know that something is not supposed to be easy and that others struggle, too. I thank you for that.

As a mom-o-three who still is struggling to keep some sort of order in the home and get dinner on (sometimes that's more than enough), I understand where you are coming from. At some point, all those little extras aren't worth what is sure to be sacrificed.

I do not know of which blogs you speak, but I will say that there are many moms out there who consider their job with short people ending at meeting their physical and emotional needs, and giving them all they desire. For me, I know that the difference in parenting philosophy is what makes me not be able to do the things these other moms do: I won't sacrifice all the hard work we've put in to training them. And on really challenging days, sometimes that means little to no "me" time to blog, check e-mail, or do fun projects--let alone chores!

Sorry so long, but know you are not alone; this season is not easy.

Jimbo and Hayley said...

Ann, I know you are a great Mommy! I wonder a lot of the same things....would love to catch up soon. Hope you are doing well. All three of yours are precious and so blessed to have you as a mom!

alex&stacey said...

Oh Ann - I love hearing about the reality of multiple little ones...too often it seems the pulled together image is presented and I figure I'm either failing miserably alone or everyone else is keeping quiet :0). Yay for being honest and for prioritizing...there is always a sacrifice with time and I'm so encouraged to hear you're focusing on the main things and letting the rest come and go as the days pass!

JJ said...

Ann- I loved reading this post bc many times i feel the same way with just 2! Your children are precious!

Hollen said...

HAHAHA I laughed out loud about Luke too! LOL I LOVE LOVE LOVE UP! It is TOO cute! :) I love Dug. That was hilarious. :) "I was hiding under your porch because I love you!" LOL
Hollen