Sunday, June 28, 2009

Here and There and Everywhere

This blog post will be all over the place. I guess that's how it is when you only blog once a month. Lot of random things to catch you up on and a little rambling as well...

I saw that I am last on some of my blogging friend's blog rolls (is that what they're called?). And it's been 3 weeks since I last posted, so while my two oldest are asleep and Andrew is happy in his bouncy seat, I thought I would update you on life in the Barber household. Sad news-(mainly for family)-my camera is broken and my mom's is also broken--thanks to Ellie. Note to self: if and when we get a new camera (don't really have that much extra cash right now), don't let Ellie anywhere near it.

Steven is gone for 2 weeks (gulp!). We are actually into the second week. He is teaching two different youth camps. He came home for one night (on Friday) and left again yesterday morning. Just so you moms aren't hyperventilating at the thought-you should know that my mom and two sisters are helping a ton. So to kill the first week, and because we wanted to see you, Moore family :)-we went to visit Laura Beth and Scott and their little monkey, Ada. I assume that everyone that reads my blog also reads my sister's. But in case you don't, I will officially announce on my blog that she is pregnant with baby #2. I am very excited. I love a new life in our family, especially when I'm not the one who has to carry it for nine months. (Don't want to make it sound like it isn't a privilege, but I'm a little worn out from pregnancies at this point) She is feeling pretty yucky and it brings back all of last summer's memories of feeling unbelievably sick and tired in the middle of the suffocating heat. Not fun! Mom went with us to visit and we were hoping to give her some relief, although I'm afraid it was anything but that. There is so much refereeing between the cousins when they all get together. It isn't exactly what I would call restful. Although I think we can all say it was very entertaining and we had several really hard laughs. Thanks for the visit, guys!

On to other exciting baby food news...I have decided to attempt making my own this time around. Notice I said attempt. I don't know why I have never at least tried it before. I think it will be much cheaper and it seems like it will taste a lot better. I pureed my first squash yesterday. Andrew wasn't a big fan, but we will try, try again. Any "make it yourselfers" out there are welcome to leave me advice!

As I mentioned before, Steven had one night at home in between youth camps. I nicely asked my mom and sister, Sarah (Kate was out of town) to keep all three children so Steven and I could go see a movie. They so graciously agreed. We went to see My Sister's Keeper. Definitely one of the saddest, most depressing movies I have ever watched-on several levels, actually. But most sad to me was how hopeless death is without Christ. The movie is the world's best attempt to put some sort of answer or hope into dying, but without the gospel, there is none-zero. At one point the girl with cancer says something like she isn't afraid because she thinks she will be alright. It saddens me to no end to think of the people in this world who are going about their lives with some false sense of security about eternity because they are a "good person". It says in Isaiah "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags." But praise be to God for His indescribable gift! What a glorious hope we have in Jesus! Are you ever just completely humbled and overwhelmed by your salvation? I love it when God hits me with that at various times.

Told you this post would be everywhere!

10 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad you found time for an update--it's always interesting to read about what's going on with you and yours! I can't imagine what a challenge it must be to take care of 3 kids, a husband, and a home, but it sounds like you embrace it all with such a Christ-like grace. I think of you all often; say "hi" to Steven for me when he's home again.

The Morrisons said...

Glad you are hanging in there. I would be lost without Matt for two weeks. Yeah for making your own baby food. I always found it easy to just puree a little as I went instead of doing the all out fill up the trays (gets freezer burned and not very appetizing to me. I like to start with avocado and bananas. They are easy, babies love them, low allergy and good fat from the avocado. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Great to hear from you! I want you guys to come over here when I get my little one on a better schedule! And yes, I plan to do my own food as well. I have some websites and emails I will pass your way. Email me...aoturnbull at gmail dot com...I don't have your email, I don't think.

LB said...

As I told mom, ya'll were a relief because it served as a distraction from the sickness. When it's just me and Ada I am much more aware of how I am feeling.

Glad for the update. I suspected the movie would be depressing after reading the book. Like I said, I didn't really enjoy the book. It was just sad--in every way possible.

Laura Forman said...

i make my own baby food over here in china and it is much easier than you would think! you just have to set aside the time to get it all ready. sadie loves just about anything...pumpkin is really easy to cook b/c you just have to roast it in the oven and scoop it out...sweet potatoes are simple too, sadie loves those...apples and pears are an easy one...bananas are easy, just gotta watch for constipation, or at least with sadie it was like that. i encourage you to keep it up though! i love the website: www.wholesomebabyfood.com They have great ideas and give you month by month of what you can eat! Love you!

Sarah said...

Girl, are you driven? I haven't really contemplated making my own baby food since baby #2 came along (at least in the truest sense: preparing and "putting up" several foods at a time--ugh). Kudos to you for wanting to do it. Is Andrew ready for food? Time is flying.

More power to you. Makes me tired to think of it, though. (But you're absolutely right--it saves a ton of money.) Happy food making! My most important tool for this is a very small (like 3 cups) food chopper. So much easier than a big food processor or a blender (But I do it one meal at a time ever since baby #2. Won't even contemplate "making" baby food right now.) You are ambitious!

So good to hear what you're up to! You sound good!

alex&stacey said...

Hey Ann - I was curious about that film...same thoughts crossed my mind as one celebrity death after another was announced...as for the baby food, I didn't read any other comments but two things worked really well for me when I was making Hope's. 1. I purchased fruits and saved the glass jars...putting the purees in those was so much easier than ice cube trays and the portion was dead on. 2. Buy frozen veggies and fruit...it saves time and money plus frozen doesn't lose any of the nutritional content. Happy pureeing!

Kate said...

Yes, our girls will have matching names! Thanks for your comment. I hope the bedding looks that good when it arrives... Take care!
Kate

Susan said...

Hi Ann!
I found everything I ever needed to know on here as far as baby food goes:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm

I used frozen organic stuff and fresh stuff. I put the puree into ice cube trays and stored them in freezer bags. It has worked great so far!

Sarah said...

Hey, Ann! Thanks for the comment. Just wanted to let you know that if it is really something you want, it isn't impossible to put all three in the bath at once even at Andrew's age. Haley's been in with the older two since she was about 4 months or so. I don't know if you can tell in the bath pics that she's sitting on a sling-type bath thing for infants. I find she falls over less often when we sit her on it, and in the beginning, I'd just put the sling on the shallow end, draw a shallow bath and lay her on it. It was a good thing for all of us. The older two learned to be gentle and careful while in the bath, Haley loved participating in the watery fun and Mom got all the bathing done at once--very nice.
I started Claire even earlier taking baths with Ruby. As soon as her cord fell off, I put them in the bath together. Same basic thing, only on one of those infant sponges instead of the sling. I figure at some point, it's just easier to get them all taken care of at once. But I'm feeling old and low on energy nowadays. Laziness necessitates such solutions :).