Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fun Fall Weekend

We have had a JAM-packed weekend full of fall festivities, and for extra fun Andrew and I have had a cold. I was starting to wonder when I would get one. I was due for a good one. But you know, moms don't get to call in sick. So we forged ahead as planned.

We asked for some fall weather, and we got it. It has been super cold around here. We have almost gone through an entire box of hot chocolate in the last two days.

So Saturday we bundled up and went to a fall party that one of my friends gives every year. It's when the weather really gets cold that you realize the clothing items that your children still need. For example, Luke has only his crocs and tennis shoes(that are pretty much too small). We have to stand him up and pretty much jump so he can get his heel into the shoe. And Ellie doesn't have a very warm jacket. But she does have a really, really cute hat. So I tried to take their picture before we left and this is what happened.

Ellie posing and making faces as usual... (Sorry for the extreme bluriness)


Then I ask Luke to scoot in so I can get both of them, but Ellie doesn't like that he is moving in on her photo shoot.


And finally, this is what we ended up with...



Then later this afternoon, our church had a fabulous fall festival out at the Brattons' gorgeous home. I'll have to admit, when I put Andrew down for a nap after church, I desperately wanted to crawl into bed with him (he fell asleep and I laid him down on our bed) and not get up for a really long time. But in spite of the cold (weather and illness), it really was a blast. The children's director put it together and had thought of everything. Ellie and Luke loved it, and did not want to leave even after over 3 hours of fall fun and quickly dropping temperatures.

Games and activities for everyone...

This is Ella Rose(left)-Luke's BFF from school and church. And Ellie's friend, Caitlin, on the right painting a pumpkin.

Luke and Dad doing the bean bag toss.

Lily Grace showing off her face painting.


Some of the cutest pumpkins you've ever seen.

And I'm not just talking about the kind you carve. Couldn't you just eat these two up? This is Shaw, Lily Grace's little brother. He is about six weeks younger than Andrew. They played a game too. It is called "who can get the can of puffs and keep it the longest." Shaw won.




Andrew says, "That's okay, maybe next year."



This is the "stuff the scarecrow as fast as you can" game. Each Sunday school class had a "volunteer". Gregory (Shaw and Lily Grace's other brother) was the 4-5 yr. old scarecrow. There was, of course, delicious food. The kind where you go back and eat more until you wish you hadn't. But because of my cold, I don't feel like I really enjoyed it too much. Sad.



Some of the adult scarecrows. Not as cute as a four year old scarecrow.
We had a hayride, marshmallow roast, and story time for the kids. But because it was getting so late and freezing, we opted out of the marshmallow roast and story, thus the meltdowns.
It was so much fun...to get in the car and turn the heat on!

This is completely unrelated to the previous post, but I have to share one last thing...Luke slept with me the other night and after I had already fallen asleep, he woke me up asking me why my legs were sharp. I was thinking, because I am sick, have three kids and didn't feel like shaving my legs. Then last night he woke at about 5 a.m. and we moved him to our bed. Steven said he scooted away from me saying, "I don't want to sleep next to mom-her legs are sharp". How funny.

Well, goodnight, I am going to go blow my nose and go to bed.


4 comments:

Kate Rhodes said...

Best Post ever!! It is 11:38 and Kate and I went to your post, never dreaming there'd be anything new since you've been sick and had to go home alone with the kids! But we have laughed so hard and the pictures were great! We especially love the story about your sharp legs!!!! that is absolutely priceless.
Love, Mom, with Kate beside me on the couch.

LB said...

I agree--this was great. And sounds like so much fun. I did crawl into bed for a nap yesterday afternoon--sad that you couldn't. My nose and Ada's nose are both running this morning--it's that time of year, I guess. Who had the party on Saturday?

Can't wait to see ya'll Halloween weekend.

Ashley Turnbull said...

I laughed out loud at the end. Too funny! Kids are honest, huh? Great post!!! Happy fall!

Mary Ann said...

It's Monday around 11:30 a.m., and I went to your blog. Wow! I agree with Elizabeth - best post ever. The pictures were great, and the story about Luke and the "sharp legs" is priceless. Thanks for a great post.

Love y'all.