Friday, October 15, 2010

I Think I Might Kill a Squirrel

 Or a deer, even.  I really don't want animals to go hungry, but come ON!  Is there really nothing else for animals to eat besides the stuff at my house?  I used to have really pretty sweet potato vine and the deer ate it down to nubs.  It was growing in pots right by on the porch.  Right by my front door!!  They left little deer prints on the porch.  They came each night and ate until there was absolutely nothing left.  My dad said the smell of human hair would keep them away.  But at the end of the night, sprinkling human hair around my porch wasn't at the forefront of my mind.  So the deer feasted.

Then came the squirrels.  This plant was on its way out anyway, so it wasn't as big of a deal, but still.  One afternoon I looked and the squirrel was just sitting in the pot munching away.  I just think the nerve of the little rodents is what made me so aggravated.  But they crossed a line when they went after my owl pumpkin. 
At least we still have Luke's spider pumpkin and I'm pretty sure they don't eat neon pipe cleaners.  Although, they seem very pesky and will probably pull them out just to make me mad.

8 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I seriously am so mad at squirrels, also. They have taken over my yard. I feel your pain.

Luke's pumpkin is a.dor.a.ble.

Love,
Mary Ann

Scott said...

I hate squirrels too. I have ever since college when I would walk to campus.

I hate the way they see you coming so they turn and run up a tree then just sneakily sneer around the trunk looking at you to see what you are going to do next. Cowards.

rhodes1 said...

oh sad Ann! That pumpkin was so incredibly cute.

Susan said...

Oh Ann! I'm so sorry.. but that first picture made me smile :)

The Henderson Family said...

Seriously. You should ALWAYS kill a squirrel. If I lived closer, I would be there in a second with a BB gun or my car. And we could dress it up...

Esther Bratton said...

Sad!!! I loved that pumkin!!! But I love the spider as well. My 87 year old grandmother went and got a gun license so she could kill the squirls in her yard. She shoots pretty good!!!

Amanda said...

Ann! I feel your pain. I just potted pretty mums and the squirrels thought the pots would be best suited for their pecans. SOOO I went to Garvin Feed and Seed here in H'ville and bought some squirrel repellant called "Shake Away" fox urine granules. According to the man at the store, fox is a predator of squirrels so they won't go anywhere near fox urine smell. I just sprinkled it in my planters this morning. And so far no squirrels. Seriously, if this works it will be my miracle product!

Jodie said...

Ok, we're going to make that spider pumpkin today, how cute. And btw, you know I'd say, slay that deer!